St. Xavier 24 Trinity 15

BuddyBW

There are an awful lot of excuses being made by the Trinity supporters, the chief of which seems to be penalties. If you watched the game closely last night there was a big reason for the penalties. The Tiger defensive linemen and linebackers were blowing through Trinity like water through a sieve. James Carpenter, for one, was having a heyday. It's often a reflexive reaction for an OL to reach out and grab a defensive player who has blown by him to prevent his QB from being killed. Sorry Rocks, you didn't lose it, you got beat by a better team. :D

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality....the score this century is 5-1 in what really matters....and the spread got us there.

"That's what matters" is in the past. 4A is over. So is 2000, and 1968 and 1976 or whatever year. X's focus is this year-right now.If you want to focus on the past-33-29-2. Does that matter?

X's team isn't the best they ever had, or have the best personnel. They just have to be better than the 32 teams in 6A this year.

There are an awful lot of excuses being made by the Trinity supporters, the chief of which seems to be penalties. If you watched the game closely last night there was a big reason for the penalties. The Tiger defensive linemen and linebackers were blowing through Trinity like water through a sieve. James Carpenter, for one, was having a heyday. It's often a reflexive reaction for an OL to reach out and grab a defensive player who has blown by him to prevent his QB from being killed. Sorry Rocks, you didn't lose it, you got beat by a better team. :D

Carpenter had an advantage that he only had to play defense. He lived in the backfield and disrupted plays all night.

As to the Unsportsmanlike penalty, one of Trinity's defenders stepped on Deuce's head after the play right in front of the unpire and he was on the ground. That is the reason for the late flag.

BTW- one of the best officiated games and one of the best crews in Louisville. I disagree on the intentional grounding non-call. The QB was clearly trying to "avoid a loss". Remember that there is no outside the tackles rule in high school.

Last night St. X was the team with the most points at the end of the game, so at least for today they are the best team in the state. But from everything I have read today on BGP and the Lexington Herald newspaper, Trinity had more total yards 346-278, more first downs 19-9, more passing yards 207-44 and many more penalty yards 98-33 and X just won by a score of 24-15. It may me a short lived party for the Tigers.:dancingpa

No excuses from me. The better team won last night. Congrats and hope to see you again. Just tell Mike to leave the brooms and umbrellas home next time.

Congrats X. You guys were the better team tonight. It seems like you wanted it more, and your players played that way. I thought Carpenter played a D-I type game today, making many tackles from the weakside on slants. #13 did a great job running flat and getting in Stein's vision on the three step hook to the weakside wr.

I thought X dominated the trenches, popping many 10-15 yard runs on first down. Duece seems to have improved a ton from last year and will be the frontrunner for Mr. Football in 2008. Lest we forget, X played the majority of the game without their starting qb, akin to the 2001 game.

I didn't care for the brooms again, Glaser carrying an umbrella to pick up the trophy or this quote "Trinity will be in the state final because there's nobody on that side (of the bracket). We have a long road to get there." I guess that's how the rivalry gets more intense.

Rocks played very sloppily, with numerous penalities. They actually had 2 more holding penalities which X declined. Part of that is due to X's intensity, but part of it is also the o-line not moving their feet to get good position. Special teams were abyssmal for Trinity, two unintentional squib kicks, missed PAT, a fumbled punt return, two poor punts and allowing a big return to the 9 when the score was 14-9.

Looked like Trinity came out a little overconfident, maybe in part to them playing Cincy X so close, i.e. "If we can play with the #2 team in the nation..."

What was the deal with Glaser and the umbrella? Was he auditioning for Mary Poppins II? I thought that was pretty stupid.... talk about not letting go of the past. Coach... let go of the "L" from last year and enjoy your 2007 "W". P.S. Umbrellas are not allowed in PJCS. That is not a good example to show your team.

If you watched the game closely last night there was a big reason for the penalties. The Tiger defensive linemen and linebackers were blowing through Trinity like water through a sieve. James Carpenter, for one, was having a heyday. It's often a reflexive reaction for an OL to reach out and grab a defensive player who has blown by him to prevent his QB from being killed. Sorry Rocks, you didn't lose it, you got beat by a better team. :D

Ox, you hit the nail on the head!!! :thumb: My son and I were discussing this same thing this a.m. Jumping offsides, unsportsmanlike & late hits etc. are a lack of discipline but most holding infractions are definitely the result of the OL being beat on the play and are an act of desperation.

Yes, despite being beaten, the Rocks showed some flashes of brilliance last night and I am confident that they will be a better team come playoff time. Newsflash: Those who think that the Tigers won't improve as well are fooling nobody but themselves. I felt like we also left plenty on the table last night and if Ben comes back fully healthy and everything else stays intact the sky can be the limit for this TEAM. Overall, a great effort from the Tigers and a certainly enjoyable victory. My biggest concern with the Tigers is the predictability of the offensive plays. I have a mere 6-7 years of Tiger football spectating under my belt and can accurately predict what play is going to be run about 75% of the time based on formation and game situation. If a baseball junkie like myself can do this, I worry about what knowledgeable DC's should be picking up.

GREAT JOB Tigers!!!!! Enjoy the weekend and be ready to put it behind you come Monday at practice while moving on to the next foe. :dancingpa

Beatty from paper, "Was that the best D we faced, No.." :rolleyes:

How many points did you hang on Cincy X????

Looked pretty darn good to me and 37,000 others.

Great Game Tigers. See you in December.

:dancingpa

I'm sure he was referring to Cincinnati St. X who shut out Elder last night and I would think (the way the quote read) he was responding to a reporter's question, not bringing it up himself. In the same article Beatty admitted that Lou. St. X was the better team last night. Do you want him not to tell the truth?

Reading some of the posts from Trinity fans reminds me some of how the Elder faithful responded when Trinity beat Elder a few years back... they talked about how they dominated the other statistics and cited this as evidence that they lost the game, rather than Trinity actually winning it.

It sure sounds like in 6A this year, there are two giants (X and T) and a bunch of midgets.