The Future of Greenup County Football

PureFan

Since we are talking about the future of GC football. I know that Coach Copley is really excited about 190 JFL players in the county last year, and the level of talent that is there. 3rd through 6th grade last year all had great seasons.

Speaking of talents hear couple of sophmore names Jones and Brown two that haven't play football at GC will hit gridiron this year. I think both are over 6' with some speed and strength. Both should help replace any transfers.:thumb:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bestest replacement GC will have is Mike Hampton 6'4 265. If he don't get 5yards a carry something is bad wrong. With him at fullback Lyles and who ever is at the other HB spot and QB will have it made! I can see teams putting 9players in the box just to stop the fullback! Bigger than the D-Line with good quickness and feet. IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A MUSKETEER!!!!!!!

Has Mike actually said he wants to play football, over summer basketball?

I agree, PureFan, I haven't heard of any basketball boys changing their minds, but I hope they do. I just wonder if they want to miss AAU basketball? It will be difficult to split time and being a new system and a player(s) learning to play another sport. It takes dedication and devotion to take on a new game and make an impact, regardless of the talent level. Jmo.

Has Mike actually said he wants to play football, over summer basketball?

Why does there have to be a choice? Eric Craft seems to do fine going between sports.

I sure there was a post stating he would play if he had a ride. I found it.

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showpost.php?p=3127420&postcount=289

Alister said Fraley has no problems with kids playing football.:popcorn:

Edited by bluekyblue
Added link

Why does there have to be a choice? Eric Craft seems to do fine going between sports.

I sure there was a post stating he would play if he had a ride. I found it.

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showpost.php?p=3127420&postcount=289

Alister said Fraley has no problems with kids playing football.:popcorn:

I don't think anyone has a problem with the kids playing multiple sports at GC. Eric Craft has played well at all 3 sports, but the difference is that he never stoped playing any sport. I think picking up a sport may be more difficult. Again, just my opinion.

I agree, picking up a new sport or going back to one after being out for a few years is difficult. I don't think playing one sport that you are passionate about is a problem, or playing multiple sports (if that is what the youth wants to do) is a problem either. I do think playing multiple sports is a lot of pressure, especially with balancing grades, and just being a teenager.

I think there is a lot of supposition that just because an athlete excells at one sport or fits a certain physical requirement that they will excell at another sport, such as football. In football, there is a mental component to the game, and as in all sports, a learning curve. Youth coming out after a "break" or switching sports will be at a disadvantage. IMO

Just me being around college sports, being a college football player and having a sister that played soccer/track in college. Multiple sports helps a ton with schools looking at you. Kids don't know how hard it is to play and keep up with school in college. College coach's just don't look how well you play and grades. They look at everything you bring to the table. When Craft goes to college and plays one sport, I bet that he'll excel at school and on the field. Eric is not just the only person look at Aaron Pettrey. At the high school age every kid wants to play in college.

I know that I will get hammered on this, I normally do, but.......

Playing three sports is very difficult now. It used to be common, but there were distinct seasons then. With basketball now having the regular season, the AAU season, summer open gyms, and players are expected to attend camps, it is hard to stay on top if you are playing multiple sports. Football is the same way, with the season, winter programs, spring practice, 7 on 7, and pre-season workouts and practice. Likewise, baseball it the same, the season, summer teams, fall teams, showcases, and winter clinics.

I am not saying that is can't be done, but you are going to miss a lot if you are playing multiple sports, and it is hard to excel on a team, or in a sport, when you are missing pretty much everything except the pre-season and season.

I gave up baseball and basketball, and football became "My sport", and I improved very much over the first year that I was not playing multiple sports. Likewise, I played with some players who were great athletes, that play all three. They never truly reached their potential, because they were missing a lot of workouts in all three sports. One player was one of the best athletes to play any sport in this area, but he never truly became dominate in any one sport, because he was missing a lot of workouts in all three sports.

Like I have said before, you can have anything that you want in this world, but you can't have it all. Something is going to suffer, and if you try to do to much, everything will suffer.

IMO Hampton can make the adjustment, but I wouldn't pencil him at fullback.There are other positions that would suit better I think. There will be a learning curve no doubt. I guess if you miss Spring football don't bother coming to football in the summer. I glad see that negativity hasn't completly left Greenup.:madman:

Well said, Ram!:thumb: I know the player you are referring to and I agree with your assesment and so would his father. I don't think he would have made it at the college level, but that isn't do to his athletic ability, I just don't think he wanted to do it. So, in that case, why not play all sports and live it up in high school?

IMO Hampton can make the adjustment, but I wouldn't pencil him at fullback.There are other positions that would suit better I think. There will be a learning curve no doubt. I guess if you miss Spring football don't bother coming to football in the summer. I glad see that negativity hasn't completly left Greenup.:madman:

Did I miss something? No one said missing Spring practice would exclude him in the Summer/Fall. It was only stated that starting a new sport would be difficult for the player, regardless of his God given talent. No one is being negative about this at all. Just stating some obvious points that everyone should keep in mind before judging the player's play on the field, IF, he comes out for football.

The point I was trying to make that no juniors play more than one sport at Greenup. Take a look across the river at Burg, West and various other school in Ohio that is not the norm. Burg has four or five that plays atleast two sports in every class.

Edited by bluekyblue
wording

Well said, Ram!:thumb: I know the player you are referring to and I agree with your assesment and so would his father. I don't think he would have made it at the college level, but that isn't do to his athletic ability, I just don't think he wanted to do it. So, in that case, why not play all sports and live it up in high school?

Take Tyler Boyles, one of the best athletes in the area, and one of the best to come threw the area, 4.0 GPA, he is going to college to play a sport, but he gave up baseball to focus on football and basketball, and I have seen a great improvement in him in both sports this year. Would he have been as good in basketball and football if he continued to play baseball? Maybe, maybe not. But, he was mature enough to know that he was missing to many workouts in basketball and football to improve at the rate that he wanted to/needed to.