Ryle signs contract to play Colerain, OH in 2011 and 2012

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised by some of the comments in regards to this. You've got a 6A school that seems to be doing all the right things to try and build a championship caliber team. You've got a Div1 powerhouse that has fallen from it's elite status. You've got a matchup that's another 2 years down the road where the 6A school seems to have more answers at this point than the Div1 school from across the way. I think it's a good move on Ryle's part. 5 or 6 years ago, I'd probably agree that it was a bad move. However, with the state of both programs, I just can't see many, if any, negatives. If I recall, a few years back, CovCath was being praised for scheduling the likes of Moeller and St. X as it would prepare them for the playoffs. Ryle makes a similar move, and all of a sudden, it's a bad thing.

Trust me, I hope this was a good move on Ryle's part. I love the idea of Kentucky schools winning games up north.

However, even though I think Ryle's program is on a promising upswing, I think Colerain's program is in the midst of a few down years for an otherwise dominant program. I look for Colerain to be back to their usual form (or at least close to it) within the next couple of years. Sure, Ryle is looking to test themselves against a bigger team, but I think they are likely biting off more than they can chew.

As far as your use of Cov Cath as an example, I think that may not be as good an example as you think. All told, I would wager to guess that Cov Cath has fared better than most Kentucky programs would against the likes of Cincinnati St. X, Elder, Moeller, Bishop Watterson and Cardinal Mooney, but I think that is an exception to some degree. Even so, look at the series of Moeller games, for example: Cov Cath has only won once. They've played Moeller 9 or 10 times, and only come away with one victory. They've also lost all 3 times they've played Cincinnati St. X, and all 5 times they've played Elder.

I went through the last 11 years worth of Ohio interstate play for Cov Cath. In that time, they have only won two of twenty-two games. They've had a few relatively competitive games in that bunch, but all together, the combined score for those 20 losses comes to Cov Cath 221, Ohio 590. I can tell you from having lost 4 times to Moeller (2 of the 4 we lost handily) as a player, we sure didn't feel like we were learning many lessons or building up any strength after the fact. Praise or no praise for the "gallant effort" and for "looking to improve", it takes a certain kind of teenager to take beatings like that and to look at them constructively.

All that being said...I think Ryle would likely do themselves a favor by starting with a "second tier" Ohio program, learning how to compete on their level, and then improving themselves up to the level of the Colerain, St. X, Moeller, and Elder powerhouses. It's a lesson that could have very likely served Cov Cath better.

Travis Elliot is more than a nice running back. I would really like for someone to show me another sophmore who played the schedule Ryle has and has similar stats to Travis. IMO having over 2,200 yds before your 16th birthday is flat out impressive. Especially on a team that has had a 1500 yd passer both seasons.I am not trying to take anything away from Simpson but I don't think his stats were that good after his sophmore season.

I would like go back in time a few years to 2006. Louisville Male was ranked in the top 10 nationally by max preps(before Trinity beat them in KHSAA playoffs) and have been a national ranked school with big time D-1 players for years prior also. SK was a little known football school with little or no playoff experience. In fact the only reason other schools may have heard of them is because of a basketball state championship they won in 1981. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would think that just 2 short years after SK would beat them in the state semis. Anything can happen under the lights!

As far as Ryle getting beat a zillion to 7 or getting their brains beat in. You will have to buy a ticket to see it Guru, because after your comments you will have your name taken off the pass list for that game. lol

Don't quit your day job to pursue a career in psychology. LOL

Your Simon analogy is poor. Male is up and down on a grand scale, Colerain has been consistently good (although they appear to be on a slight slide) for numerous years.

Travis Elliott is a nice high school running back but he doesn't compare to Miles at this point. Remember, Simpson is a sought after D1 athlete and they are few and far in between in NKY. With that said I hope a couple of years from now we are all discussing Elliott's D1 offers.

Trust me, I hope this was a good move on Ryle's part. I love the idea of Kentucky schools winning games up north.

However, even though I think Ryle's program is on a promising upswing, I think Colerain's program is in the midst of a few down years for an otherwise dominant program. I look for Colerain to be back to their usual form (or at least close to it) within the next couple of years. Sure, Ryle is looking to test themselves against a bigger team, but I think they are likely biting off more than they can chew.

As far as your use of Cov Cath as an example, I think that may not be as good an example as you think. All told, I would wager to guess that Cov Cath has fared better than most Kentucky programs would against the likes of Cincinnati St. X, Elder, Moeller, Bishop Watterson and Cardinal Mooney, but I think that is an exception to some degree. Even so, look at the series of Moeller games, for example: Cov Cath has only won once. They've played Moeller 9 or 10 times, and only come away with one victory. They've also lost all 3 times they've played Cincinnati St. X, and all 5 times they've played Elder.

I went through the last 11 years worth of Ohio interstate play for Cov Cath. In that time, they have only won two of twenty-two games. They've had a few relatively competitive games in that bunch, but all together, the combined score for those 20 losses comes to Cov Cath 221, Ohio 590. I can tell you from having lost 4 times to Moeller (2 of the 4 we lost handily) as a player, we sure didn't feel like we were learning many lessons or building up any strength after the fact. Praise or no praise for the "gallant effort" and for "looking to improve", it takes a certain kind of teenager to take beatings like that and to look at them constructively.

All that being said...I think Ryle would likely do themselves a favor by starting with a "second tier" Ohio program, learning how to compete on their lever, and then improving themselves up to the level of the Colerain, St. X, Moeller, and Elder powerhouses. It's a lesson that could have very likely served Cov Cath better.

Now that is a spot on post!

Yet CCH continued to schedule those quality schools despite the beatings and no one criticized them for taking on the challenge. Odd. :idunno:

Yet CCH continued to schedule those quality schools despite the beatings and no one criticized them for taking on the challenge. Odd. :idunno:

First of all you said you were done in this thread and second of all plenty of people have been critical of the Colonels for numerous years because they have over scheduled. However, with CCH winning five state titles (and having to beat Highlands just for the chance at a title) you have to give the powers that be at CCH a little credit for knowing what they are doing.

Ryle could lose 100-0 to Colerain and still easily make the playoffs in KY with homefield advantage, it's different on this side of the river. But if they somehow keep it close, or pull off an upset that's a lot of confidence.

Edited by John Anthony

I agree with G. I can name you PLENTY of folks in the Cov Cath community alone who have some major criticisms for the teams we select some years. I'm all about championing Cov Cath, but I think when they're playing teams and losing 7 and 8 times by 25 points or more, you've got to question whether or not you need to rethink some things.

Ryle could lose 100-0 to Colerain and still easily make the playoffs in KY with homefield advantage, it's different on this side of the river. But if they somehow keep it close, or pull off an upset that's a lot of confidence.

JA, who will be Ryle's qb in 2011 and 2012? You have posted in other threads that the next qb at Ryle will be better than the current one.

Keeping it close is not winning! As far as an upset , when you start winning games against Highlands , thats when you know your ready to take on the big boys from Ohio.

Look at all the talent that the birds had to field this year to beat Cincy X. Do you think Ryle will have the talent that this years HHS team had ? If you have to play your stars both ways , that doesn't work either , Colerain will wear you down in the second half. Good luck!!!! :lol:

Keeping it close is not winning! As far as an upset , when you start winning games against Highlands , thats when you know your ready to take on the big boys from Ohio.

Look at all the talent that the birds had to field this year to beat Cincy X. Do you think Ryle will have the talent that this years HHS team had ? If you have to play your stars both ways , that doesn't work either , Colerain will wear you down in the second half. Good luck!!!! :lol:

Ryle played 2 players both ways and those 2 were used sparingly on D.

Not sure why you're being so discouraging when adding a team like Colreain, Cincy X, Elder, Moeller, etc to their schedule can only improve their team in the long run.:confused: