It Might Get Loud

Habib

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it last night. Pretty darn good stuff, although I personally would have liked to have seen a little more "this is the gear I used when I do this", "this is how I did this" and "this is how we came up with this". There was some of that kind of stuff, of course, but there was also a lot more of what I guess you could call personal philosophy on guitar playing, and listening to the guys talk about what it was that got them into music and into the guitar in general.

Even as weird as he is, I do like Jack White...however, after watching the movie, I'm still kind of left thinking he didn't quite belong. The idea of the movie was that they were interviewing 3 innovative guitarists about how they broke the mold with their vanguard electric guitar playing, and although I think Jack White has managed to become surprisingly mainstream with his music, I don't think he particularly "broke any molds".

My favorite part, though, had to be when the three of them were sitting around talking with their guitars, and Jimmy Page started into his riff from Whole Lotta Love, and then they cut over to a shot of the Edge, and he's got this look on his face that says, plain as day, "Holy crap, I'm actually standing next to Jimmy Page watching him play Whole Lotta Love, and I'm going to play my guitar along with him". He was completely star-struck for a second, even though he'd been sitting there and talking with him for who knows how long.

I watched it last night. Pretty darn good stuff, although I personally would have liked to have seen a little more "this is the gear I used when I do this", "this is how I did this" and "this is how we came up with this". There was some of that kind of stuff, of course, but there was also a lot more of what I guess you could call personal philosophy on guitar playing, and listening to the guys talk about what it was that got them into music and into the guitar in general.

Even as weird as he is, I do like Jack White...however, after watching the movie, I'm still kind of left thinking he didn't quite belong. The idea of the movie was that they were interviewing 3 innovative guitarists about how they broke the mold with their vanguard electric guitar playing, and although I think Jack White has managed to become surprisingly mainstream with his music, I don't think he particularly "broke any molds".

My favorite part, though, had to be when the three of them were sitting around talking with their guitars, and Jimmy Page started into his riff from Whole Lotta Love, and then they cut over to a shot of the Edge, and he's got this look on his face that says, plain as day, "Holy crap, I'm actually standing next to Jimmy Page watching him play Whole Lotta Love, and I'm going to play my guitar along with him". He was completely star-struck for a second, even though he'd been sitting there and talking with him for who knows how long.

:thumb: I thought a lot of the same things, especially that part with the Edge. He got up and moved to get a better look and I was thinking, "I would be doing the exact same thing." I disagree about Jack White, though. I think he is the most innovative modern guitar player out there. He has given a new interpretation to the blues that I think is unmatched, despite its rough style.

Overall the movie was very, very enjoyable, I just wish there had been more.

I need to watch this bad. Not too big on the Edge though. Especially when guitarists like Hendrix, Page, Iommi, Clapton, Van Halen, etc. have pretty much used their own names. One would think you would have to be a lot better or make a lot better music to have a name like that. Edge was probably so star struck because he knows he couldn't even be Page's guitar tech much less ever be anywhere as good as him. :D Although I could be venting a bit being I don't like U2 at all. I really almost despise U2, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

As far as Pagey goes, he is tied with Jimi for my fav. of all time. Love Jack White as well.

I just put this in my queue to stream a couple days ago. Can't wait to watch it. I will say I wish they would have picked someone other than the Edge though. Like dolamite I'm no fan of U2, so that's likely why I wish they would have picked someone else. Jimmy Page and Jack White are absolutely phenomenal!

I need to watch this bad. Not too big on the Edge though. Especially when guitarists like Hendrix, Page, Iommi, Clapton, Van Halen, etc. have pretty much used their own names. One would think you would have to be a lot better or make a lot better music to have a name like that. Edge was probably so star struck because he knows he couldn't even be Page's guitar tech much less ever be anywhere as good as him. :D Although I could be venting a bit being I don't like U2 at all. I really almost despise U2, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

As far as Pagey goes, he is tied with Jimi for my fav. of all time. Love Jack White as well.

I've never cared much for the Edge's guitar work, or U2 for that matter, but I think I came away from it with a little better appreciation for him.

I really do want to watch this. As someone who has played guitar since I was 6 or 7, it is to me the ultimate instrument which can be used in nearly any style of music.

BUT, while I will reserve judgement, .... I would rather have seen different guitar players with Jimmy Page. Maybe Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Ry Cooder, Alan Holdsworth, Gary Moore, John Petrucci, John Mayer (not a huge fan of his music, but he is a solid player), Alex Lifeson (very underrated), Billy Gibbons, Dave Grohl, Brian May, etc.

Here's my take on why these 3 were chosen.

Jimmy Page = legendary rock guitarist from one of the most popular and well recognized rock bands ever. Raw power. Not a great lead player, but came up with some of the greatest riffs in the history of rock music. With his Les Paul slung low he was one of the rock guitarists that influenced an entire generation of future guitarists. He is partially responsible for making harder rock playable on the radio and bringing in legions of fans just coming out of the 'love period' of the 60's with a new style.

Edge = someone who mastered the use of effects to magnify and fill in and creat a stylistic sound. He was one of the best at utilizing the delay as part of the rhythm. Not a great guitar player, but has created an original sound using the tools that are out there as well as anyone. He used timing and pinpoint precision settings on his effects to create something new. I am not a huge fan, but do respect that he was doing something original.

Jack White = raw and very old school on his playing. Emits pure and raw emotion when he plays. You can hear his old school influences from very early blues music. No he isn't technically a tremendous guitar player, but is very underrated and music is not just about being technically proficient. It is about emotion and power and he had loads of both. I love the fact that he is unabashed about intergrating and using his blues influences in his music and often doesn't seem to have a real direction in his playing which makes it exciting and unpredictable.

I have only seen bits and pieces of this on youtube,but I have it my list to see. On the 'star-struck' quote,at the end of Jeff Beck's induction to the Rock and Roll HOF (Page inducted Beck),it was nice to see two legends stand onstage and be star struck to be in the presence of Scotty Moore (Elvis's Guitar player in his early career).

Edited by owsleyking
spelling