Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Harlan

Featured Replies

I do know that in 1996, I believe, Harlan's boys basketball teams had a very solid year, with the grade school team winning around 20 games, and the jr. high team going to the county championship. Also, Harlan's grade school girls basketball team went undefeated, or at least in county play I think. Furthermore, the grade school football team went undefeated that year. Following that athletic year, the county league voted to expell Harlan from competing in their organization, with only Evarts and Cumberland voting to keep Harlan included in competition.

 

That being said, I know that Harlan didn't choose to play in the CUMBERLAND VALLEY ATHLETIC CONFERENCE (or so I believe that's the name), but they didn't exactly opt out of the COUNTY basketball league. As for the football program, I'm confident in saying that Harlan barely had the numbers to field a team this year. Without the efforts of Coach Saragus, I doubt the program would have existed this year, and for that he deserves a huge "thanks" from everyone in the community. The New Harlan team encompasses 5 feeder schools, and with the exception of Wallins, the other 4 schools couldn't field their own football programs. Playing in a league where they would have been by and far the smallest school, Harlan may have not been able to field a team by the end of the season. Playing in a new league of Class A programs isn't the worst of ideas in this case, and more kids will be encouraged to play in the newly alligned system. From a basketball standpoint, Harlan stands a much better chance (as do the other small county schools) of fielding a team, and playing on a competitive level. Kicking them out of the county league is a low blow, in my terms and probobly forces them to play fewer games due to traveling expenses. For once, I would love to see Harlan play exclusively in conferences outside the county in basketball, and refuse to rejoin the county league whenever the county decides to include them in the next couple of years.

:thumb: good synopsis of the situation and a good history lesson.

  • Replies 233
  • Views 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as whyme's accusations, I don't have a clue what he is talking about.

However, i don't see anybody moving to harlan for job reasons. Jobs, what's that!!!!!!! Look back over time and tell me one year when harlan did anything in any sport with city kids.

lungbuster- you can look no farther than this past year in football. Lundy, Lankford, Stephenson, Pope, Chase Jones, Aaron Jones, Johnson, Goodin are all city kids. They proved to be the best of the best in the county, correct?

Dragonpappy,

 

This "conglomorated" team that you are talking about are all feeder schools into Cawood High School, what is so unfair about that. It amazes me when people get so upset about the Patriots, I mean these are all kids that should be playing together at Cawood so what is wrong with them playing together in Jr. high. Also Evarts and Cumberland both can hold back kids if they choose to. That is Harlan's fault if they don't choose to allow their kids to hold back.

 

About the recruiting deal, well, let's just wait and see what happens but something tells me that the coach will be called into the Super's office sometime soon.

 

About the jr. high teams, just my opinion, but if Harlan is not going to play in the football league which is fine and dandy but then I glad the county is not going to include them in the basketball league. Also for the record I feel that the county board should no longer allow city kids to play in the pee wee league. Why should the county fund the city kids to play football. If the city kids want to play which again is fine and dandy then I think that city board should pay for half of the budget of the pee wee league.

If I am not mistaken the origanal 20,000.00 investment into the pee wee league was paid back to the county board from the entry fee from parents and the gate money from these same parents. So go ahead and kick the city kids out and you can field two teams.

I do not know of any district who has the pee wee football that allows another district to participate in their pee wee league. I could be wrong. If Harlan County pee wee only has two teams then that is fine, they can play against other pee wee teams.

I second that notion. If anyone played Somerset competively on a regular basis in District 7, it was Harlan. Maybe in the next few years, something can be worked out, because this was my favorite game of the year, from a spectator standpoint.

 

Lol these past two years it has been my favorite game to play in becuase of all the brash talk that was made by certain coaches! The way both teams hated each other on the field was just great! It always meant the game was gonna be very hard hitting and competitive down to the final second!

The Brain,

 

You are correct, it should be a kids decision, not a coach from another district calling the parent or the kid saying "Hey you will start for me as a freshman if you will come to my school" not to say that, that is illegal also. And yes you are right, this is a football forum but those kids that I am talking about play football too. I just feel that Harlan should stay away from the county kids and if the county kids want to go to Harlan on their own then that is fine but when a coach is telling a 13 or14 year old all this stuff then what do you think the kids are going to say.

 

 

So you are saying this has to be the boys basketball coach. Trust me, I know the boys basketball coach very well. I have called him about this matter and he is not too happy. He informed me he has never called a player other than his own and that if you are talking about him this is slander, because it has no truth. I would be very careful of the accusations you make, you could end up in court yourself.

ballaholic,

 

I know how serious this is. I have two kids and parents that have said that the coach has talked to them. I will find out tomorrow if there is a third. Of coarse he is going to deny it. This is NOT the first time the coach has contacted county players and I think everybody knows that to be a fact. This might be a matter of his word against theirs (the parents and players) but I know it is going on and has in the past. This just might end up on the steps of the KHSAA. I hope not, I hope he "the coach" backs off and leaves the county kids along but I don't see it happening because like I said this has been a problem in the past and he has been addressed by the Harlan Ind. administration before.

ballaholic,

 

I know how serious this is. I have two kids and parents that have said that the coach has talked to them. I will find out tomorrow if there is a third. Of coarse he is going to deny it. This is NOT the first time the coach has contacted county players and I think everybody knows that to be a fact. This might be a matter of his word against theirs (the parents and players) but I know it is going on and has in the past. This just might end up on the steps of the KHSAA. I hope not, I hope he "the coach" backs off and leaves the county kids along but I don't see it happening because like I said this has been a problem in the past and he has been addressed by the Harlan Ind. administration before.

 

 

I know for a fact that the head boys basketball coach has NEVER been addressed by the Harlan Ind. administration or anyone else. Trust me, I know this coach very well and what you are saying is slander. I for one hope these parents have the records of these so called calls as well as these approaches made at the kids or there maybe legal actions taken by the opposite side. I for a fact, know that the coach has never contacted a kid or had someone contact a kid for him.

 

Most students that come to Harlan come for academic purposes. The test scores speak for themselves. Sometimes the students are just athletes as well.

 

Get your facts straight before you post again. I want actual facts, not hearsay.

 

If you have the facts, PM me and let me know them.

I would love to see these facts as well. I may be wrong, but I think that the facts would draw strong contrast to the accusations.

Will someone in cyberspace please redirect me for I am lost and looking for the place to discuss the fortunes of the HHS football team for the 2007 season.

I would love to see these facts as well. I may be wrong, but I think that the facts would draw strong contrast to the accusations.

 

 

 

 

 

With todays technology it would be real easy to confirm these accusations, so if there is none then I think this thread should get back to where it was meant to go, HHS football 2007. For everyone's sake!

I have heard 15-18 are coming to off-season workouts...of course, a few more are occupied with basketball and now baseball. The number is down a bit from last year, as expected. I have heard that those that are attending are making good progress.

I think what Tony did was basically the only thing he could of done. Tony is a good guy and does well with both basketball and football. Harlan is lucky he works with their programs and by the way i think he was an old loyall boy if i am correct. My point was that Harlan didn't want to play and it put west harlan and other teams in the field in a tuff spot. Now since they can't play its all the sudden anti- harlan.

I never remember Harlan being kicked out of basketball because they were too good but maybe i am wrong. Seems to me if they were with the anti-harlan administration they would of never gotten back in or so you say! The pee wee situation is another example of a district trying to include and do the right thing------ how could this be with such a anti-harlan administration.

Sounds like to me Harlan is looking to blame someone for their problems and its easy to use the county as the bad guy.

Also, thats exactly what Harlan needs to do. They need to play all of their games outside of the county schools and if and when the county is silly enough to let them back in, they need to say no! I agree 100%

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.