Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cawood question?

Featured Replies

What's interesting is that it seems like Cawood was always just on the cusp of making a splash. They have participated in the postseason 25 times and only have 4 wins to show for it:

-1975: Belfry, 27-0

-1982: Lincoln County, 28-6

-1992: Leslie County, 14-7

-1993: Belfry, 35-13

 

When you look at who they have lost to in previous years during the postseason, you can see why they have struggled. On eight different occasions they have lost to the eventual state champion:

-1975: Highlands

-1982: Highlands

-1984: Danville

-1987: Covington Catholic

-1988: Covington Catholic

-1989: Highlands

-2003: Belfry

-2004: Belfry

 

They have more than four wins in the post season. I know they made the playoffs in either late 90's or 2000 and was beat by Highlands after they won a few games in the playoffs.

I believe gchs uk9 is correct. Cawood hasn't won a playoff game since 1993.

 

John Luttrell had a real good team at Cawood in the 1990s that lost by one point at Newport.

They have more than four wins in the post season. I know they made the playoffs in either late 90's or 2000 and was beat by Highlands after they won a few games in the playoffs.

 

Sorry, ballaholic, but you are incorrect. They haven't won a postseason game since 1993 and haven't played Highlands in the playoffs since 1989. I've got all the information and will happily send it to you if you PM me.

I believe gchs uk9 is correct. Cawood hasn't won a playoff game since 1993.

 

John Luttrell had a real good team at Cawood in the 1990s that lost by one point at Newport.

 

1998- Newport 22, Cawood 21

Cawood has lost eleven straight playoff games by an average score of 46-11. The closest game besides the Newport loss in 1998 was a 17-point loss to Leslie County in the second round in 1993.

Prediction: Cawood may start slow but will finish with a flurry in the school's last season...I foresee a 5-5 or 6-4 regular season with a playoff win for the first time in 14 years before a loss in the second round (district runner-up).

Prediction: Cawood may start slow but will finish with a flurry in the school's last season...I foresee a 5-5 or 6-4 regular season with a playoff win for the first time in 14 years before a loss in the second round (district runner-up).

 

They have a good coach this year. I think they might pull a second place finish out in that district. I'd like to see Cawood, Cumberland and Evarts all close with a bang this year.

I know this...assistant coaches both at Evarts and Cumberland have told me they expect very good seasons this year.

For the record, I graduated in 87 (it all seems cloudy now 20 years later), but the fall of 86 was my senior football season. Cawood had Hensley, Henson, Shackleford, Burke, etc., and Cumberland had Maggard, Evans, Washington, etc. There seemed to be athletes galore county-wide.

 

Are you talking about David Hensley? Because if you are then he must have failed a few games. He was Cawoods starting running back against Highlands in 1982. Sooooo I guess he was in the, what, 8th grade in 1982!

Tommy Hensley...another good Cawood RB. No offense to David, but he was a bit older than me.

Tommy Hensley...another good Cawood RB. No offense to David, but he was a bit older than me.

 

 

Tommy (Class of 1987) is a personal favorite and possibly the second best running back in school history, behind David (Class of 1983).

 

Mike Burke was a senior on the 1985 team that was undefeated in the regular season. Mike Dempsey was an awfully good lineman though, along with Shackleford and Henson. Bryan Barrett was an all-state kicker for Cawood in 1986.

 

Pee Wee Clark was an impact player for Cumberland that season, along with Maggard and Evans. Kevin Rhinehart also played an important role.

 

The talent level just hasn't been the same the last 10 years or so, but it does appear to be improving.

Sorry, ballaholic, but you are incorrect. They haven't won a postseason game since 1993 and haven't played Highlands in the playoffs since 1989. I've got all the information and will happily send it to you if you PM me.

 

 

Sorry, my memory is getting bad.

They have a good coach this year. I think they might pull a second place finish out in that district. I'd like to see Cawood, Cumberland and Evarts all close with a bang this year.

 

 

Frank Smith was a great coach, Just the talent wasn't there after 03.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.