March 22, 200719 yr A New Coach for Kentucky? March 22, 2007, 5:19 pm A New Coach for Kentucky? By Pete Thamel Tags: Billy Gillispie, horse racing, kentucky, Kentucky Derby, Notre Dame football, Tubby Smith With the surprising news today that the Kentucky Coach Tubby Smith was headed to Minnesota, expect one of the big storylines for tonight’s game between Texas A&M and Memphis to be whether the A&M coach Billy Gillispie would jump to Lexington. I talked to about a dozen people around Gillispie over the past three days, and I got the strong feeling that he’d consider the Kentucky job. Gillispie avoided a question I asked him about Kentucky with his typical homespun humility: “I think you have to try and be happy where you are,” Gillispie said. “The best job that I’ve ever had is always the one I currently possess.” Indeed, Gillispie has transformed A&M from a college basketball sinkhole to a legitimate Final Four contender. But here’s a few hints that make me think he’d take a long, hard look at the Kentucky job. 1) The guy switched jobs 10 times in 19 years. He was quick to point out that all were upward moves of some type. Well, Kentucky basketball is a bit like Notre Dame football. There isn’t much going up from there. 2) Gillispie loves horse racing. It may sound silly, but when I asked him if he had any outlets outside basketball, he immediately brought up horse racing. Gillispie said he’s been to all the major tracks and that an A&M booster took him to the Kentucky Derby last year, which he said was a thrill like going to the World Series. Obviously, the horse farms in Lexington have a lot of influence on Kentucky. Don’t laugh. These things tend to come into play. 3) Gillispie is crazy. Kentucky fans are crazy. One of the problems that they had with Smith was at times it seemed like the fans may have cared more about things (such as recruiting) than Smith did. And while that’s likely not true, Kentucky fans would drool for someone with Gillispie’s work ethic. 4) Gillispie’s recruiting ties are strongest in Texas. And while that may work well at A&M, it can work even better at Kentucky, as he can compete for the state’s top players. Texas has produced a glut of great players in the last seven or eight years– Deron Williams, LaMarcus Aldridge, Ike Diogu, T.J. Ford, Chris Bosh, Bracey Wright, Kendrick Perkins, Acie Law IV, Gerald Green and there’s quite a few that are left off that list. Gillispie could definitely land a player or two from Texas each year.
March 22, 200719 yr He's my favorite at this point. Sounds like he might be up for the challenge too.
March 23, 200719 yr I still say Kentucky goes after Pete Gillen, but that's just me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
March 23, 200719 yr He's my favorite at this point. Sounds like he might be up for the challenge too. Mine too.
March 23, 200719 yr With his work ethic and moving around, he sounds a little like Ricky P was in 1989. I think he sounds like a good fit, maybe the best fit.
March 23, 200719 yr This would be an amazing hire. I think he could come here and get UK back into National Championship type basketball in 5 years.
March 23, 200719 yr Ok I be honest I really dont know to much about this guy, except for the little bit I just read from this article. I know I have saw alot of people say he would be a great hire, and I was just wondering if some people could fill me in on some of the stuff he has accomplished and done well that would make him the best fit for the next coach at UK?
March 23, 200719 yr Ok I be honest I really dont know to much about this guy, except for the little bit I just read from this article. I know I have saw alot of people say he would be a great hire, and I was just wondering if some people could fill me in on some of the stuff he has accomplished and done well that would make him the best fit for the next coach at UK? Im the same as you, from what I hear this guy may be the only hope for UK to have a chance!
March 23, 200719 yr Ok I be honest I really dont know to much about this guy, except for the little bit I just read from this article. I know I have saw alot of people say he would be a great hire, and I was just wondering if some people could fill me in on some of the stuff he has accomplished and done well that would make him the best fit for the next coach at UK? He's a tireless worker with great recruiting ties in Texas and is also a very solid X and O's coach. He's well known for small switches in offensive and defensive strategy to keep opponents off balance and his players always give him maximum effort. A&M was a bottom feeder when he got there and they are big time in a quick span. He might be the best fit of the bunch as it stands but I still think it's Cal if he doesn't make the Final Four...
March 23, 200719 yr From Wikipedia: After leading both UTEP and Texas A&M to postseason appearances after extraordinarily weak seasons, Gillispie became the only college basketball coach to be in charge of the NCAA program with the biggest turnaround in two consecutive seasons. An excellent recruiter, Gillispie has put together four straight top-25 recruiting classes.[4] In his three seasons at A&M, the Aggies have achieved three consecutive 20-win seasons for the first time ever. 70-25 at A&M 2005 and 2007 Big12 CotY
March 23, 200719 yr He's a tireless worker with great recruiting ties in Texas and is also a very solid X and O's coach. He's well known for small switches in offensive and defensive strategy to keep opponents off balance and his players always give him maximum effort. A&M was a bottom feeder when he got there and they are big time in a quick span. He might be the best fit of the bunch as it stands but I still think it's Cal if he doesn't make the Final Four... Ok thanks! From what you just told me, he sounds like he would be a good fit here! Yeah I was thinking it would be Cal too, and that is why I was rooting for Memphis to win, because even though I wouldn't mind having him here. He definitely wouldn't be my top choice, just because of the chance of him landing us in trouble some day... Also Do you know if Gillispie has any top recruits coming in next year, that he may bring with him if he did come to UK?
March 23, 200719 yr From Wikipedia: After leading both UTEP and Texas A&M to postseason appearances after extraordinarily weak seasons, Gillispie became the only college basketball coach to be in charge of the NCAA program with the biggest turnaround in two consecutive seasons. An excellent recruiter, Gillispie has put together four straight top-25 recruiting classes.[4] In his three seasons at A&M, the Aggies have achieved three consecutive 20-win seasons for the first time ever. 70-25 at A&M 2005 and 2007 Big12 CotY Well thank you too mobaar! :thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.