Why would you not allow a radio broadcast?

Can someone please enlighten me as to why a chance at a radio broadcast of your schools game would be nixed? I saw in a post where Seneca is the only public school allowing the broadcast of the game vs. Trinity. Why on earth would the others not welcome such? Is this a crybaby tactic against Trinity? Is it thought that folks won't come out to the game if on the radio? I really would like to hear both sides of this.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also be interested in the rationale behind this. From what I understand, there are a number of public schools who do not permit their games against Trinity to be broadcast over the radio. To my knowledge, there is no public school that does not permit games against St. X to be broadcast. Is it only Trinity? How about Lexington Catholic, Covington Catholic, NCC, DeSales, Holy Cross and any other private schools? If they have radio broadcasts, do any of their public school opponents not permit their games to be broadcast over the radio? If it is only Trinity, what, if anything, do the public schools feel that Trinity has done differently than any number of private schools such as those listed above? For example, a public school may feel that if their game against Trinity is on the radio it will suppress physical attendance at the game. But, to my knowledge, no public school forbids their games be broadcast over the St. X radio network, so it does not seem logical that only the public schools playing against Trinity would prohibit the broadcast of their games over the radio.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why a chance at a radio broadcast of your schools game would be nixed? I saw in a post where Seneca is the only public school allowing the broadcast of the game vs. Trinity. Why on earth would the others not welcome such? Is this a crybaby tactic against Trinity? Is it thought that folks won't come out to the game if on the radio? I really would like to hear both sides of this.

Because it can hurt gate sales so they say...which I don't believe it does unless it is a bad weather night. Also some just like to say NO!! :rolleyes: Ask the fine AD at Eastern he will tell you!!

I would also be interested in the rationale behind this. From what I understand, there are a number of public schools who do not permit their games against Trinity to be broadcast over the radio. To my knowledge, there is no public school that does not permit games against St. X to be broadcast. Is it only Trinity? How about Lexington Catholic, Covington Catholic, NCC, DeSales, Holy Cross and any other private schools? If they have radio broadcasts, do any of their public school opponents not permit their games to be broadcast over the radio? If it is only Trinity, what, if anything, do the public schools feel that Trinity has done differently than any number of private schools such as those listed above? For example, a public school may feel that if their game against Trinity is on the radio it will suppress physical attendance at the game. But, to my knowledge, no public school forbids their games be broadcast over the St. X radio network, so it does not seem logical that only the public schools playing against Trinity would prohibit the broadcast of their games over the radio.

Maybe because they like the people in charge of and that do the X broadcast better....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I crack myself up sometimes!!

Because it can hurt gate sales so they say...which I don't believe it does unless it is a bad weather night. Also some just like to say NO!! :rolleyes: Ask the fine AD at Eastern he will tell you!!

As Diogenes noted above, why are the public schools saying no to the pebbles, but okay to the rest of the private schools? If game attendance is the reason being used, then seemingly that same reasoning would be applied also to all the other private schools...but it's not. :confused:

Maybe because they like the people in charge of and that do the X broadcast better....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I crack myself up sometimes!!

Bingo! Another unbiased voice from the wilderness heard . :lol:

For the life of me I can't see how it would hurt attendance, if people are going to go to a game then they will go. Not broadcasting will just deprive the kids of publicity, and why would you want to do that. The only reason I can come up with would be if they had a beef with a radio station or something that was said,OOORRRRR.....THEY COULD NOT CONTROL WHAT WAS BEING SAID ABOUT THE TEAM, COACH AND SCHOOL.

These are possible reasons, I'm not "in the know" in any case.

#1. Lack of space for the radio crew. Many stadiums barely have sufficient space for thier camera crews and coaches. Bringing in the radio squad just enlarges that problem. I bet many programs are peveed that the opponets radio broadcast forces them to relocate at thier home stadium.

#2. Baised radio broadcast. It is extremely frustrating to listen to these broadcast when your team is playing against them. The crews are heavy homers and come off disrespectful at times. Respect is a major issue for every program, and should never be underestimated.

#3. Possible retaliation. As much as we all like to think our programs are run with the highest degree of class, coaches often play catty games with each other. Like not trading game tapes....

These are possible reasons, I'm not "in the know" in any case.

#1. Lack of space for the radio crew. Many stadiums barely have sufficient space for thier camera crews and coaches. Bringing in the radio squad just enlarges that problem. I bet many programs are peveed that the opponets radio broadcast forces them to relocate at thier home stadium.

#2. Baised radio broadcast. It is extremely frustrating to listen to these broadcast when your team is playing against them. The crews are heavy homers and come off disrespectful at times. Respect is a major issue for every program, and should never be underestimated.

#3. Possible retaliation. As much as we all like to think our programs are run with the highest degree of class, coaches often play catty games with each other. Like not trading game tapes....

I never thought Trinity's were so bad about being homers. I have seen and heard much worse than they.

Then again I am a Shamrock so my opinion on this matter may very well be a tad bit biased.

Don't we have another week before this type of comment comes out? I'm really looking forward to see the hand shake again this year. :lol:

Lack of space is a big issue, and the attitude of the radio crews. They have to remember that they are guests at that school. Take what space is offered not more, and only the ablsolute necesary people go in the box, The color guys wife, the other guys kids and the 10-12 people that just want to say hi can all do it outside the box. Rain games aren't excuse to let everyone you know in the box. This isn't just an issue with radio crew but any extra game staffers.

The worst experience I've had with this was when I was with Satori at Atherton, it's starts raining during halftime and our own team doc barges in the box with his wife and 3 kids and his wife sits down in my seat and lays her dripping wet umbrella on my open and running stats laptop. I had to restrain myself from stangling her, luckily me grabbing her umbrella throwing on the floor and glaring at her was enough to get them all out of the box.

I never thought Trinity's were so bad about being homers. I have seen and heard much worse than they.

Then again I am a Shamrock so my opinion on this matter may very well be a tad bit biased.

Theres nothing worse than having to listen to a NKY broadcast of a Covcath game. The announcers scream if they get a 5 yard gain. The other team could run for a touchdown and the announcers are monotone. It's terrible.

Does the radio station call the school and ask permission? I've been broadcasting for years and I always call the school in question for permission, only been turned down twice. I've seen other stations just show up and expect to be given a spot. I don't think you would not be allowed to broadcast because of favortism to any given team. I think radio station management needs to do some PR with the other schools.

Theres nothing worse than having to listen to a NKY broadcast of a Covcath game. The announcers scream if they get a 5 yard gain. The other team could run for a touchdown and the announcers are monotone. It's terrible.

Having to listen? CovCath makes you listen to their broadcasting crew?

I have a suggestion, don't listen if they are so bad. Nobody is making you listen to the CovCath crew... Listen to your own schools broadcasting crew......