Tubby = Coker...thoughts?

RockPride

I just got the below e-mail from a buddy of mine who is a UK alum and fan...

I want to know one thing. Everyone talks about how great Tubby is and how he won a championship and blah blah blah. But, what he has done is very similar to another coach who won a championship and a bunch of games for a great program in football….Does everyone know who I am speaking of….???

That is right kids, Larry Coker. He lost 1 game in 3 years and would have won 2 national championships if it weren’t for a flag being thrown 15 seconds after a play! He won those games with Butch Davis players and now that he has slowly been getting worse every year for the past 3 years they kicked his butt out of there. Miami wants to win, they should win, they expect to win because they are Miami. They should expect to win, why shouldn’t they win. UK bball is the same way. We should expect to win, we should win and we are not winning when it counts. It is time for him to go and that is all there is to be said about that.

If you are a coach of a big time program and you do NOTHING there then you should be out. He has done nothing but bring the program down slowly.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple of thoughts....

1) NO comparison, to what Coker went through at Miami, with on and off field issues....NONE. He is partly gone because of record and those issues....to use his own words "and that is all there is to said about that"

2) Quit opening emails from this buddy....:D

^ I thought the same thing on #1...makes me think...though...if he didn't have all of those off the field problems would he still be there, or would their record still be that poor.
I'll agree with you, the off field issues resulted in part of this record. I would imagine, hard for coaches to focus on the task of instruction, coaching, game preparation and drills, with all the other off-field problems, which took away from practice and without question, affected the players also.

I am not a UK or U of L fan, so I think I can be objective. As long as Rick Pitino is the coach at U of L, Tubby will get the recruits Pitino passes on. He may get the occassional standout that is intent on going to UK, but Tubby will always play 2nd fiddle to Rick Pitino. The only way this will ever change would be for UK to get a coach the caliber of Billy Donavon, someone w/ some KY ties that would garner the kind of respect Rick Pitino does.

So is it okay for your program to get worse every year as long as there are no off field (or court) issues???
This is a dead horse, that I'm not going to beat again.....BUT

Unless UK wins the National Championship EVERY year, some "UK Fans" will not or never be happy, with that season. If anyone wants, please go back and add the win totals for the last 3 seasons, see who is in the top 5 and tell me when was the last time, a team repeated as National Champion in the last 10 years.....anyone?

So is it okay for your program to get worse every year as long as there are no off field (or court) issues???

First of all PLEASE show me where and how this program has gotten worse every year since Tubby has been here, because I bet you will have a very hard time showing anything at all that says this program has gotten worse every year Tubby has been here...

I am not a UK or U of L fan, so I think I can be objective. As long as Rick Pitino is the coach at U of L, Tubby will get the recruits Pitino passes on. He may get the occassional standout that is intent on going to UK, but Tubby will always play 2nd fiddle to Rick Pitino. The only way this will ever change would be for UK to get a coach the caliber of Billy Donavon, someone w/ some KY ties that would garner the kind of respect Rick Pitino does.

Besides Rajon Rondo who has Pitino passed on that we have gotten. Im sorry I didn't realize we were playing second fiddle to Pitino and his NIT appearance last year, and a chance to maybe be in the NIT again this year...

The only people that Tubby will be playing 2nd fiddle for is the 18% who cant get over themselves from when Pitino was here, and dont realize that Pitino will never be here again, and need to realize we already got ourselves a great coach in here in Tubby.

Not every year since he's been there, every year since Pitino's players have been gone...

Yeah that is true. I mean being the #1 seed in the whole tournament 2 years in a row is definitely a program declining, and then also have a double overtime loss from a final four is definitely on the down hill. Or not to mention the teams we usually have lost to in the tournament have been teams that are one of the best in the country and make the the final four and championship games. All this stuff was with all of Tubbys players, but yeah your right ever since Pitino's players left we have just been going down hill...:rolleyes:

As I said before you have nothing to back up that this program has been going down hill every year since Tubby has been here, and from when Pitinos players left..