2008 Shelby Valley

bugatti

2007 was a banner year for Shelby Valley. The Wildcats hosted their first home playoff game in nearly a decade, they won their first playoff game in school history, and they finally established themselves as a legit contender for a district title.

Kevin Saunders has the SV program heading on the right track. The Wildcats have an excellent FieldTurf facility, their highest level of community support at a school that is Basketball focused, a solid feeder system with solidarity among the coaches, and more than anything, higher expectations.

I don't expect 2008 to be the year that SV wins their first district title, P-burg returns nearly everyone from last year's squad, but nonetheless this may be the most critical year in terms of SV staking claims towards it's improvement. Anything less than matching last years success would be considered a step back.

Successful Season= Host and win a playoff game, finish the season with an overall winning record.

SV's biggest obstacles IMO:

1. Replacing a pair of talented RB's.

2. Having to knock off a loaded Pburg team.

3. Surviving what will more than likely be another solid non-distict schedule

S.V. definately made nice gains this year. Coach Saunders is the real deal. I like his hard-nose approach, its a throwback to a different era. I think Valley has at least as much talent as anyone in the area. I want to make a constructive comment, I felt at times last year they were a bit inconsistent in thier play. Granted they have some holes to fill for next year, but I think they need to work on the intensity of thier game week in and week out. I hope I made sense with that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

By and large the program has already improved, and this season is a critical year to evaluate that progress. Valley lost alot of talent and experience from last year's team. They do have the Mitchell kid returning at HB and some talent returning on defense, but best case scenario is to finish second in the district again. I can't see them touching Pburg this year, and additionally, Bath County returns the brunt of last years team.

• 2 weeks later...
By and large the program has already improved, and this season is a critical year to evaluate that progress. Valley lost alot of talent and experience from last year's team. They do have the Mitchell kid returning at HB and some talent returning on defense, but best case scenario is to finish second in the district again. I can't see them touching Pburg this year, and additionally, Bath County returns the brunt of last years team.

I agree, Saunders is doing a wonderful job with this program but expect a down season for the Wildcat. Bath County will get the 2 seed IMO, they return one of the better players in the district in Zach Metz.