2008 St. Xavier

bugatti

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strength of X has always been their defense and the 2007 team graduates some mighty talented players on the defensive side of the ball. On the D-line you lose Carpenter, Smith, Jones and Showalter. The good news is Brutcher returns at DE having earned significant playing time as a junior. But the big question mark is will X have a pass rushing and run stopping beast like James Carpenter that can take on an opposing team's best TE or tackle? I didn't see one waiting in the wings and suspect this will be a D-line by committee with plenty of juniors stepping in to keep the line fresh and active. Another big question mark is replacing our trio of talented linebackers. A couple of the backups were seniors as well. If the D-line gets pushed around the linebackers will be counted on heavily to make plays. Are there some senior-to be- backers waiting in the wings to solidy those spots or will it be a linebacker by committe? The secondary will have to be strong and should be strong. DJ Hall will man the middle at a saftey spot and a couple very talented juniors in Lawson and Sears should contribute at the corners.

The offense will obviously feature Duece. I predict sophmore Devontae Beach will get most of the lead blocking assignments. He was a devastating blocker at the freshmen level and is big and strong enough now at about 220 lbs to do the same for the varsity. Jeremiah Neal along with sophmores Jay Hayden and Lamont McMurray should prove to be able back ups to Duece. Who will be the QB for the Tigers in 08, or as some opponents say "Who cares who the QB is for St.X, they run ball." The obvious choice and frontrunner is senior Matt Brutcher. In a spread offense, Matt would probably flourish as he is a very accurate passer. In a veer offense he's going to be asked to throw on the run more often than not. Matt will have competition from Buehner, a junior, and sophmore Ryan Loehnert. Buehner is probably the faster of the three and his passing improved tremondously from his freshmen to sophmore years. He led the JV's to an undeafed season, including an impressive trouncing of Cincy Moeller. Loehnert at 6-2 or 6-3 has the look of a prototypical spread offense QB. His arm strength may be the best of all three. Unfortunately, he spent most of his freshmen year learning different ways to hand off the football and thus lacks speed of the game passing experience. All things being relatively equal could either of these 3 help the team more by switching positions? Buehner has the speed and versatitilty to make a switch to WR. Loehnert also has above average speed and with his height would make an excellent target at receiver. I would look for one of these two see action as a receiver.

The O-line will be huge, but will need to get quicker and stronger in the offseason to be dominant. Some say they are big, but on the soft side. The receiving corps should be solid with Sweeney, Wyatt Gray and TE Brian Bauscher.

Special Teams--Wyat Gray will punt, kick off and placekick and should do all three very well.

The strength of X has always been their defense and the 2007 team graduates some mighty talented players on the defensive side of the ball. On the D-line you lose Carpenter, Smith, Jones and Showalter. The good news is Brutcher returns at DE having earned significant playing time as a junior. But the big question mark is will X have a pass rushing and run stopping beast like James Carpenter that can take on an opposing team's best TE or tackle? I didn't see one waiting in the wings and suspect this will be a D-line by committee with plenty of juniors stepping in to keep the line fresh and active. Another big question mark is replacing our trio of talented linebackers. A couple of the backups were seniors as well. If the D-line gets pushed around the linebackers will be counted on heavily to make plays. Are there some senior-to be- backers waiting in the wings to solidy those spots or will it be a linebacker by committe? The secondary will have to be strong and should be strong. DJ Hall will man the middle at a saftey spot and a couple very talented juniors in Lawson and Sears should contribute at the corners.

The offense will obviously feature Duece. I predict sophmore Devontae Beach will get most of the lead blocking assignments. He was a devastating blocker at the freshmen level and is big and strong enough now at about 220 lbs to do the same for the varsity. Jeremiah Neal along with sophmores Jay Hayden and Lamont McMurray should prove to be able back ups to Duece. Who will be the QB for the Tigers in 08, or as some opponents say "Who cares who the QB is for St.X, they run ball." The obvious choice and frontrunner is senior Matt Brutcher. In a spread offense, Matt would probably flourish as he is a very accurate passer. In a veer offense he's going to be asked to throw on the run more often than not. Matt will have competition from Buehner, a junior, and sophmore Ryan Loehnert. Buehner is probably the faster of the three and his passing improved tremondously from his freshmen to sophmore years. He led the JV's to an undeafed season, including an impressive trouncing of Cincy Moeller. Loehnert at 6-2 or 6-3 has the look of a prototypical spread offense QB. His arm strength may be the best of all three. Unfortunately, he spent most of his freshmen year learning different ways to hand off the football and thus lacks speed of the game passing experience. All things being relatively equal could either of these 3 help the team more by switching positions? Buehner has the speed and versatitilty to make a switch to WR. Loehnert also has above average speed and with his height would make an excellent target at receiver. I would look for one of these two see action as a receiver.

The O-line will be huge, but will need to get quicker and stronger in the offseason to be dominant. Some say they are big, but on the soft side. The receiving corps should be solid with Sweeney, Wyatt Gray and TE Brian Bauscher.

Special Teams--Wyat Gray will punt, kick off and placekick and should do all three very well.

Here's a couple of additions. The offensive line should be solid with 3 returning letterman including 6'5 325 Seth Harvey. ON the defensive line, let's not forget Trevor Foy and John Taylor to go along with Brutscher. Michael McCormick filled in nicely at LB when Devine and Heuser were injured early. In the defensive backfield, Zach Kamber and Sam Galbraith started and led the team in interceptions last year respectively and Patrick Kilkelly and Chase Carraro got time also. Aaron Botner rotated in every 3 plays at WR and caught a TD in the state final game. Don't be surprised to see D J Hall on the offensive side with some time at receiver. Jake Meredith can add some talent at the TE position along with Chris Esterle.

As to the QB position, let's not forget that Matt Brutscher finished the win againt Trinity in the regular season and started the next four games- all wins.

He is generally unflappable in the huddle. Brian Buehner has great leadership skills and will get a chance to prove himself this year. Think how defenses will play St X next year with Finch in the backfield. The play action pass will be huge. This years team was 32 seconds away from perfection-next years team should continue the winning ways.

Lineups

WR Botner

WR Sweeney

TE Bauscher-Patten- Meredith-Esterle

OT Harvey

G Filcik

C Baisch

G Karrer/Ray

OT Casale

QB Brutscher- Buehner

FB Beach -Wilkerson

RB Finch- Neal

P Gray

DE Brutscher

DT Foy

DT Taylor

DE Dorsey

LB McCormick

LB Hall

DB Kamber

DB Galbraith

DB Kilkelly

DB Carraro

DB Burckle

K Gray-Wilkerson

Next year's St.X Tiger's with the huge o-line and stable of running backs with size and speed may not have to throw too much even though they will have 2 QB's who can. The key will be keeping healthy which was a big problem last year, especially with Duece. Great home schedule next year with:

Lex. Cath.

Male

Manual

Central

I saw today where the St X Varsity Basketball Coach has been asked to move on.

Was the Varsity Baseball coach replaced last year.

I wonder who may be next to leave, and who do you think will get the basketball job.

St. X returns many outstanding players and, as always has a wave of willing and able underclassmen ready to step in. They have a great new home field and (on paper at least) look better than any other district teams. The trick I think for them in 2008 is to not peak as early. Their best games seem to come during the regular season. Sounds crazy but I think they would be a better playoff team if they'd lose one along the (regular season) way.

St. X returns many outstanding players and, as always has a wave of willing and able underclassmen ready to step in. They have a great new home field and (on paper at least) look better than any other district teams. The trick I think for them in 2008 is to not peak as early. Their best games seem to come during the regular season. Sounds crazy but I think they would be a better playoff team if they'd lose one along the (regular season) way.

I almost bit on this....you're a funny guy.:laugh: I can hear Spears now:

"It's 4th and inches for the touchdown, 56 seconds to go and the Tigers are down 4 to Manual. Tony, think they'll give it to Duece here, (chuckle chuckle)

Wait a second, Wyatt Gray is coming on to kick a field goal. The kick is good and the Tigers are down 1 Tony, with no timeouts.

Tony--Uh yeah John, I can't explain that one. I guess the Tigers are going to onside and hope to get it back.

Spears--And Gray kicks it deep into the endzone. (awkward silence)

Folks this one is over as Manual can take a knee twice and go home with a win."

The key to last year was keeping the best players 100% healthy and that did not happen. You just can't control that kind of thing it is just a matter of luck.

That was "the key to last year?" :creepy:

Yes, It would have been nice to have a 100% healthy Duece Finch instead of 75%. Injuries and breaks are part of the game you just have to hope to keep your stars healthy. St.X has not been able to do that the last 2 times they went to the title game.

Just taking a guess what the lineup "might" look like. Just for fun of course.

Wr Sweeney-Neal

Wr DJ Hall-Botner

TE Baushcher-Patten

T Harvey

G Busche-Filcik

C Baisch

G Karrer-Ray

T Casale

Qb Matt Brutscher

TB Finch

FB Beach

Defense

DE Foy

DT Craig Brutscher

DT Taylor

DE Dorsey

LB Mc Cormick

LB Bickel

LB Kilkelly

SS DJ Hall-Lawson

FS Sears-Daylen Hall

CB Burckle

CB Carraro

K Gray

Yes, It would have been nice to have a 100% healthy Duece Finch instead of 75%. Injuries and breaks are part of the game you just have to hope to keep your stars healthy. St.X has not been able to do that the last 2 times they went to the title game.

Just as sure as the Sun will rise tomorrow... :lol: