Who wins in 6A in 2008 (Part 2)?

Oxnard

Now that we have laid the mandatory historical groundwork for a proper discussion of this pressing topic, it's time to hone in on resposes specific to projected 2008 performance.

1. St. X.: If the Tigers can find some linebackers to replace all the great ones they lost from last year, they should be ready to grab the gold ring, since they seem to have both quality and quantity depth at every other position.

2. Trinity: They have at least two "all-world players" in Whiting and Phillips and are conducting auditions for a strong supporting cast.

3. Manual: The Crimsons are a distinct notch below the Top 2, but better than all the rest.

4. Male: The Bulldogs continue to decline despite the presence of outstanding RB, Justin Green, the fastest high school athlete in Kentucky.

5. Paul Dunbar and Dixie Heights should vie for the top 6A slots outside of Jefferso County.

That's my opening shot...what's yours?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ OX, nice accessment of 6A at this point. With Trinity winning 6 out of the last 7, they are my preseason No. 1. Someone has to step up and beat them in November or December. As of late, no one can do that. Until X does it, or anyone else for that matter, the Rocks have the bullseye square on their chest. We X fans can talk about this and that, but the reality is that the job must be done on the field. Until it happens, we are playing for

2nd place.

From all that has been said about the top 6A teams for next year, it sounds as if, ON PAPER Saint Xavier should be the favorite, but given Trinity's recent title run they likely should be given the nod for number one.

I'm concerned about Dunbar losing their coach. They definitely have a ton of returning talent though.

Conversely, will the loss of Manual's OC be a positive for the Crimson? I know Manual loses Cooper at wideout, but who is returning for them?

I was very impressed with Boone last year in the playoff game. Does their qb return? How about their wide receiver?

I envision that Henry Clay will be way down.

What has happened to Male? A dominant team in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2006, yet an "above average" team in the other years. Has the talent pool dried up at Barrett and Greathouse? Are the kids now going to Manual instead? At this point, Justin Green reminds me of Stephen Garr. Very heralded but not much performance. Perhaps this will be his year.

Now that we have laid the mandatory historical groundwork for a proper discussion of this pressing topic, it's time to hone in on resposes specific to projected 2008 performance.

1. St. X.: If the Tigers can find some linebackers to replace all the great ones they lost from last year, they should be ready to grab the gold ring, since they seem to have both quality and quantity depth at every other position.

2. Trinity: They have at least two "all-world players" in Whiting and Phillips and are conducting auditions for a strong supporting cast.

3. Manual: The Crimsons are a distinct notch below the Top 2, but better than all the rest.

4. Male: The Bulldogs continue to decline despite the presence of outstanding RB, Justin Green, the fastest high school athlete in Kentucky.

5. Paul Dunbar and Dixie Heights should vie for the top 6A slots outside of Jefferso County.

That's my opening shot...what's yours?

I hate to be picky, but Dixie Hts is 5A. The N. Ky teams to beat in 6A will be Ryle and maybe Simon Kenton which is rapidly improving its program. They have had two pretty good frosh classes the last two years (last year they won the frosh championship and the year before that they were runner ups to the Birds). Simon Kenton may still be a year away from being real good however.

I really think that Nichols has stepped it up where Bob Redman might be taking it a bit easy. If he wants Male to be top notch again, any time soon, he has oodles and oodles of work to do. That said, Coach Jackson at Ballard will have them in the Top 3-4 in the state within 2-3 seasons.

Conversely, will the loss of Manual's OC be a positive for the Crimson? I know Manual loses Cooper at wideout, but who is returning for them?

Considering Manual averaged 38.6 points a game vs teams not named St X, in a schedule that included Male, Central, Ballard, and PRP, it would be hard to argue that losing him will be a positive. I believe the QB Joey Harness will be returning also, it would be his third year starting if I'm correct. The biggest issue with Manual as far as competing with X or T is and always will be line play. That is where St X dominated them last year in the playoff.

^ You know what....I expect Manual to better than all teams not named St. Xavier or Trinity right now. Manual had their share of success against us, but I need to see consistent success for them to be coinsidered a power just yet. I think next season certainly starts out with big ?'s.

Considering Manual averaged 38.6 points a game vs teams not named St X, in a schedule that included Male, Central, Ballard, and PRP, it would be hard to argue that losing him will be a positive. I believe the QB Joey Harness will be returning also, it would be his third year starting if I'm correct. The biggest issue with Manual as far as competing with X or T is and always will be line play. That is where St X dominated them last year in the playoff.

You know as well as I do that the road to State for Manual goes through X. Losing Ulinski, Young and Niemann isn't going to help the line too much. I only see Manual once or twice a year, but I believe there were some complaints (perhaps unfounded) regarding playcalling late in the games. Maybe Nichols calls the plays; I don't know.