Tues. Feb. 3 Dixie 7:30

Friday Feb. 6 Highlands 7:30

Sat. Feb. 7 Hazard TBA

Tues. Feb. 10 @ Boone Co TBA

Friday Feb. 13 Newcath 7:30

Sat. Feb. 14 Campbell Co 7:30

Tues. Feb. 17 Conner 7:30

Friday Feb. 20 @ Simon Kenton 7:30

Is there some special connection between Holmes and Lloyd? If not, why do they play in the Lloyd Invitational?

I think it was a two year commitment which is why they're playing in it again. I've also heard there will be more competition in it this year than last.

Overall I think their schedule is pretty tough.

The play three 11th region teams. (Franklin Co, Scott Co, Bryan Station)

Largo (MD) who were the 3A state champs last year and while they lost 12 seniors they also return the following:

Aaron Martin 6'4" SF 170 ; Malik Thomas 6'5" SF 180 ; DeAndre Crusoe 6'7" PF 190 ; DeQuan Markham 6'0" PG 150 ; Aaron Perry 6'0" SG 160

And Hazard who should be the team to beat in the 14th.

I think it was a two year commitment which is why they're playing in it again. I've also heard there will be more competition in it this year than last.

Overall I think their schedule is pretty tough.

The play three 11th region teams. (Franklin Co, Scott Co, Bryan Station)

Largo (MD) who were the 3A state champs last year and while they lost 12 seniors they also return the following:

Aaron Martin 6'4" SF 170 ; Malik Thomas 6'5" SF 180 ; DeAndre Crusoe 6'7" PF 190 ; DeQuan Markham 6'0" PG 150 ; Aaron Perry 6'0" SG 160

And Hazard who should be the team to beat in the 14th.

Holy Moley

Holmes should be rated #2 in the state next year. I think they will be the only team who can play with Scott Co. Scott Co. is just going to be so deep next season. The Feb. 7th game with Hazard should be a good one also. Hazard will have 5 very solid players and a top 10 type team.

Possibly, but I don't see it happening.

The lost what, their starting PG, Henderson (who was the blood and guts of that team) and both of their centers. That is a lot. R. Johnson and Pittman had bigtime tournaments and they have that little guard that played well in the region...but they have some holes to fill.

I think Elliott County will be rated #2 and they return a lot key players from the team that gave eventual champions, Mason County their toughest game and frankly, should have beaten them.

Just throwing some teams out there that could be debatable.

• Warren Central
  • Adair County---likely a reach but return a lot
  • Manual
  • Madisonville
  • J-Town
  • Shelby Valley

I can see arguments for both Holmes and Elliott County being number 2. Holmes has the Johnson brothers, plus Pittman, the little PG, and the transfer (can't remember his name) plus their jv was supposed to be very very good. Add in that with the great defense they always play then you have a legitimate beef to be number 2.

Possibly, but I don't see it happening.

The lost what, their starting PG, Henderson (who was the blood and guts of that team) and both of their centers. That is a lot. R. Johnson and Pittman had bigtime tournaments and they have that little guard that played well in the region...but they have some holes to fill.

Holmes lost 6 seniors from last year's squad. But they also return 3 starters in Pittman and Johnson Brothers, a better all around PG in Riley, a big time transfer in 6'3 Brandon Housley, and also have two of the better underclassmen in nky in 6'6 soph Keyvon Arnold (averaged 13 ppg playing at the 17u aau level this summer as a 15 yr old), probably one of the top 5 freshman in nky in 6'6 Ziere Herndon and they also return 6'3 G Dom Johnson who has been with the varsity since his freshman year.

Brandon Housley is the x-factor for them with the loss of Henderson. Elliot Co lost to Covcath last year with the same team they'll have this year and I can almost guarantee you this year's Holmes squad is better than CCH of last year.

Also of the teams you mentioned J-Town is the only legitimate team that I could see beating Holmes or even having an argument of being the #2 team. I'd put GRC ahead of any of them. All of those teams are one man shows.

Holmes lost 6 seniors from last year's squad. But they also return 3 starters in Pittman and Johnson Brothers, a better all around PG in Riley, a big time transfer in 6'3 Brandon Housley, and also have two of the better underclassmen in nky in 6'6 soph Keyvon Arnold (averaged 13 ppg playing at the 17u aau level this summer as a 15 yr old), probably one of the top 5 freshman in nky in 6'6 Ziere Herndon and they also return 6'3 G Dom Johnson who has been with the varsity since his freshman year.

Brandon Housley is the x-factor for them with the loss of Henderson. Elliot Co lost to Covcath last year with the same team they'll have this year and I can almost guarantee you this year's Holmes squad is better than CCH of last year.

Also of the teams you mentioned J-Town is the only legitimate team that I could see beating Holmes or even having an argument of being the #2 team. I'd put GRC ahead of any of them. All of those teams are one man shows.

Shelby Valley beat Louisville Male last year and Louisville Male beat Holmes, so what is your point? Shelby Valley returns a lot from their team from a year ago.

So how does this figure into your logic of Covington Catholic beating Elliott County?

Didn't ten or more teams beat Newport Central Catholic last year, and they also beat Holmes, so does that make those ten teams that beat Newport Central Catholic better than Holmes?

I don't think applying who beat who at various times is a qualifier to say who is really a better team.

Much of this argument doesn't amount to a hill of beans, because there are so many things that can happen, and there is a long way to go until November.

I just don't see how you can not say that Elliott County, which returns both Faulkners, both Knipps, and a Mr. Basketball candidate in the Ferguson kid as not being at the very least the #2 team behind Scott County.

I believe that is their entire starting five or at the least 4 of their starters.

Don't get me wrong, Holmes does return some nice players, but some of the younger names you threw out there are awfully young, and I doubt they played any varsity last year.

I think you are underestimating the loss of Henderson.

I agree that the loss of Henderson is immense. He was a great player with the heart the size of (insert whatever word you like), but I think most would agree that Holmes lost more the year before and came back with an even better team, which I see as a possibility next year. EC is probably the most solid choice for number 2 because of their experience, and can beat anyone on a given night with those shooters as they almost did against MC. I think Holmes has the most upside to be #2 with talent, coaching, defense etc...J-town has the unknown of the transfer that didn't get to play with them last year but could be outstanding. Manual has the unknown of whether Kimbro plays with them or not (i have a hundred different stories). I also think GRC now has to be mentioned in the same sentence as these guys too. Should be an extremely fun year!

Much of this argument doesn't amount to a hill of beans, because there are so many things that can happen, and there is a long way to go until November.

I just don't see how you can not say that Elliott County, which returns both Faulkners, both Knipps, and a Mr. Basketball candidate in the Ferguson kid as not being at the very least the #2 team behind Scott County.

I believe that is their entire starting five or at the least 4 of their starters.

Don't get me wrong, Holmes does return some nice players, but some of the younger names you threw out there are awfully young, and I doubt they played any varsity last year.

I think you are underestimating the loss of Henderson.

Just saying. While Holmes lost a lot, they return more talent than they had last year. Before last season everyone asked the same things being questioned now. "How do you replace all that talent lost?" And I was the only one who said they'd be better this year than the previous. Same with this year.

The loss of Henderson will be HUGE but the addition of Housley makes that loss not so bad. Holmes will be much bigger this year and have more athleticism in their front court. And as far as the younger players go, Arnold played varsity regularly until he broke his foot right before the state tournament. He has been playing up in AAU ball though and holding his own so I don't have any doubt that he won't be a contributor this year.

EC is an easy team to pick for #2 but the thing with them is the only way they beat a much bigger athletic team (Holmes), is if they have a red hot shooting night like they did when they almost beat MC. They just don't have the size to rebound with the bigger teams outside of the younger Knipp.