Murray/Calloway Predictions

This was an outstanding game last year, one of the best I have ever seen. Murray returns Sr. QB jordan Garland who put up some good numbers and has a lot of potential for a big year. They return outstanding skill players in Jamie King, Mikkol Alston, and Shikill Davis who have all improved. Two new big receiving targets Zach Buck and Kwame Duffy will up the passing attach along with Roman Kelly who missed the CCHS game last year. The Tiger offense will be a force to be reckoned with. New coach steve Duncan will play more players both ways and have Murray better conditioned this year which is the primary reason for the tigers loss last year.

Calloway is very similar to Murray this year. They lost key lineman but makeup for it by having a good nucleus of skill players. Casey Brockman returns at QB who had a successful Junior season. Receivers George Garner, Chris Dobbins and C.J. Dial all return as good targets for Brockman. In the backfield they have Tyrell Willis and Jordan bumpus. Bumpus proved to be a pretty good back last year and will be relied on more this year. Willis holds a lot of question marks because he has missed the majority of the summer workouts due to on-going disciplinary problems. if he returns and stays out of trouble he can be a great player.

With the game being broadcasted over a large area this year and an annual trophy being handed out will make this an even bigger event. I think it will be a lot like last year and come down to the fourth quarter and we will see who comes away with this one. Good luck to both teams, you will not want to miss this game!

Edited by Ram

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I am from NKy I know how hard each teams wants to win this game. It's a HUGE game between these two fine schools with the winner having bragging rights all year long.

Will they play this game at Murray State this year? Really too bad if they don't, it is a great place to go watch a football game.

The game is hosted by Calloway this year and will be played at MSU. Hopefully, with the new turf, the game will continue to be there in the future.

Great! What a treat for both teams and their kids to play on the big field. My guess is that the stadium will be rocking, much more so than what the stadium has been for the Racer games that I have attended in the last couple of years....

Good luck to both teams, their fans and I hope the weather is great!

Go Lakers - GoTigers

New coach steve Duncan will play more players both ways and have murray better conditioned this year which is the primary reason for the tigers loss last year.
Calloway beat Murray last year because they were the better team ... period. The game was close than it should have been.

If Calloway looks like they did last year they will not have better depth and numbers. The Lakers only had about 28 players on the team, Where Murray had around 50. Murray has plenty of depth. But I still think it will come down to the very end with the offensive balance of both teams and pretty solid defenses on both sides as well.

Murray committed to stopping Willis and ground game last year and was successful in that game until CCHS pulled it out late. The Lakers tossed out the rushing game plan at the half and turned to the pass in the second half (and rest of the season) and moved at will. Expect Laker team #s to be up off of a good season and this year's high expectations. Calloway offense will be very difficult for anybody to stop with its balance. But, Murray will be improved too this season and has great back in Jamie King. But, I predict Calloway pulls away in 2nd half to take the lead in the all-time series, which is tied at 12 wins each, I think.

I think the key is whether Willis plays or not.

I think you hit the nail on the head not only in this city/county showdown, but also the key to Calloway's season. If Willis plays the opposing defenses have to be able to stop both the run and the pass. If Willis is not in the lineup you will see teams blitz Brockman all season long.

Opponents blitzed Calloway all last season - and it didn't slow the passing game down too much. The QB was in his first year at and got better at reads and avoiding pressure with each game. The excellent receiving corp opens up the ground game for Calloway, whether Willis plays or not (betting he will). The Lakers will have a good ground game with Jordan Bumpus and Austin Hargrove - two players who got better with each game last year. Willis just brings the beast factor and makes the Lakers that much better on both sides of the ball.

Im surprised that the king kid is not getting that much attention I looked at his stats online and they nearly doubled Willis's numbers. What are your thoughts on King?
King is a very good back, but Willis plays against better competition and is also a defensive force.