Mayfield/Milan, TN Scrimmage

GoBigRed

Was it just me or did Mayfield look a little flat in this scrimmage? Our offense had some bright spots but I thought our defense looked pretty rough, especially our passing defense, the kids seem to have the ability to keep up with receivers, but they are not looking for the ball. Milan seems to be a very well coached team. And what was the deal with letting the second string play so much?

Milan won last years 2 to 0 in the varsity and 2 to 1 in the Jv, the year before Mayfield won the varsity, but, I can't remember the score...Milan is going to be a preseason Top 2 or 3 team in Tn 2a, most likely right behind Alcoa...They've got most of there returning starters back from a 11-2 team and about 19 srs this year. Plus, they're a traditional power in W.Tn...

There's a connection between the 2 programs...Joe Morris, Mayfields Head coach and Jeff Morris, Milans head coach, are cousins, so it's a friendly little "Braggin Rights" rivalry, but, both teams always want to see the other do well...They played each other in the regular season a couple of years in 97 and 98,..Milan won the 2a and 3a state in those 2 years, but Mayfield won both the regular season games those 2 years...

There's a connection between the 2 programs...Joe Morris, Mayfields Head coach and Jeff Morris, Milans head coach, are cousins, so it's a friendly little "Braggin Rights" rivalry, but, both teams always want to see the other do well...They played each other in the regular season a couple of years in 97 and 98,..Milan won the 2a and 3a state in those 2 years, but Mayfield won both the regular season games those 2 years...
Milan actually won state titles in '98 and '99 ... Mayfield and Milan didn't play in '99. In '97, Milan lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Milan actually won state titles in '98 and '99 ... Mayfield and Milan didn't play in '99. In '97, Milan lost in the first round of the playoffs.

You're right...I just remember when Mayfield beat them in 98, they went on to win out and win state that year and Mayfield went undefeated till the championship loss to Middlesboro and then Milan went undefeated the next year and won another state championship and one of them was a 2a championship and the other a 3a, but, I don't recall if they moved up or down in 99...

The score was !6 to 7 Milan. Milan is very good and I thought we pretty much stayed with them. We had 1 turnover that led to a td for them but all in all I bet the coach's were pleased with Mayfield's efforts. Playing this calibar of a team exposing your weakness's so hopefully the coach's can correct a few of those. I think Mayfield can be right in there to do some damage in 1A if we dont have a meltdown like last year.

The score was !6 to 7 Milan. Milan is very good and I thought we pretty much stayed with them. We had 1 turnover that led to a td for them but all in all I bet the coach's were pleased with Mayfield's efforts. Playing this calibar of a team exposing your weakness's so hopefully the coach's can correct a few of those. I think Mayfield can be right in there to do some damage in 1A if we dont have a meltdown like last year.

Yeah, you're right, we hung with em pretty good for the most part, but we did have 3 fumbles, hopefully it will all be corrected by game time. I do really hope that all of the problems we had last year will be corrected, nopefully the ones that had a hand in it can be leaders instead of problem causers. I didn't count 6 scores, not even with the second string.

Yeah, you're right, we hung with em pretty good for the most part, but we did have 3 fumbles, hopefully it will all be corrected by game time. I do really hope that all of the problems we had last year will be corrected, nopefully the ones that had a hand in it can be leaders instead of problem causers. I didn't count 6 scores, not even with the second string.

I think he meant 16-7 as the varsity score.

Overall I thought Mayfield had a good scrimmage against . Mayfield was outsized by at every position but it didn’t seem to hurt Mayfield to much. Mayfield will have to work on the pass defense to be a contender this year. Most of all ’s big gains came by the pass.

Mayfield’s offense looked good at times and then just plain terrible also. The skill positions for Mayfield are the real deal this year but as always the offense will do as much as the offensive line will let them. Most people will not believe their eyes when Mayfield lines up four wide for most of the game. It will be something completely different from the past.

Tyrese Murrell and Xavier Shelton are going to be studs this year. The offense will run through them as it should. I was told that Mayfield didn’t use hardly any of the offensive plays they have been practicing.

If Mayfield keeps the team together this year unlike last year, they will be better than most predict.

A couple of standout players I noticed that I don't remember from last year. #25 Ross I believe was a very promising back from what I saw and the other one was a kid named Shultz I believe. I only noticed from the formations that we were running that we only have one varsity back, is that right or is Shelton going to be carrying the ball? What about Jarrod Noonan, is he carrying the ball this year?

Edited by Ram
Rule 13