Who still runs the Wishbone?

JP55

Raceland runs "the bone" but not as a mainstay, they also go out of the spread (is their main offense) along with showing some "power I" and "wing T" sets as well. I know that Raceland came out in the wishbone in their opener vs. Ashland and the Tomcats could not come close to stopping it.

Raceland then went away from it after the first two or three series and back to the spread. For this season imo they woud be very effective out of any running offense but that is why I am sitting here and not coaching, the coaches know what to do.

Raceland has imo two of the better backs in our area in Denton and Carver, an experienced and smart QB in Boyles along with a dominating line which is a must for any running offense.

I love the wishbone offense, some say that it is outdated but nothing could be further from the truth imo. A lot of these spread option that teams are using work on the the wishbone principles. Wishbone, veer, wing t..... any of it. I am old school and love watching these teams.

^ I can remember when Bellevue ran the old single wing with the Sutkamp boys.

I think they won the State Championship running the single wing. Seeing that ball being snapped to any of those 3 athletic backs was quite a unique thing. They did so much out of the single wing that opposing teams struggled to defend it. Bill Baldridge was the head coach at Bellevue then and I think he left after that year to coach at Morehead State.

I am of the firm belief that you can run any offense with success if:

1. the coaching staff and players believe in the offense

2. the coaching staff knows how to evaluate positives and negatives of the current personnel

3. the players get enough repetitions in practice of base plays so that they become second nature.

I love run oriented offenses including the Wishbone (of course, I am an OC in a spread offense, so I am partial to it).