Texting is a Scourge on Our Society

Watusi

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When in a moving object that you are responsible for controlling whether it be train, car, or 747, I'll agree with 2C.
Texting while driving or whatever, fine I completely agree, but to just say texting as a whole is a scourge on society is not fair.

Just to make sure everyone is on a level playing field:

scourge

Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[skurj] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, scourged, scourg·ing.

–noun

1. a whip or lash, esp. for the infliction of punishment or torture.

2. a person or thing that applies or administers punishment or severe criticism.

3. a cause of affliction or calamity: Disease and famine are scourges of humanity.

–verb (used with object)

4. to whip with a scourge; lash.

5. to punish, chastise, or criticize severely.

So, do you feel the same way about email? It's the same thing. Electronic communication message sent from machine to machine.
In my experience, email is not invasive like texting. I can control when I check my email and when I respond. So it is not the same thing, to me.

However, with the increase in PDA's and phones capable of sending and receiving email, I'm liking it less and less every day. :D

In my experience, email is not invasive like texting. I can control when I check my email and when I respond. So it is not the same thing, to me.

However, with the increase in PDA's and phones capable of sending and receiving email, I'm liking it less and less every day. :D

Funny, that is the exact reason that I prefer text's over phone calls if a question needs to be answered.

Edited by stickymitts

I made this statement in another thread that started a debate. So I thought it would be better to give it its own thread.

"Texting is a scourge on our society."

You'll get no argument from me, Toots. Although I might have some different reasons for describing it as such. Like IM on a computer, it's just one more way to dumb down an already collectively stupid society.