2009 Harlan County

Ram

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have to find a QB! Two possibilities are Larry Williamson and Jordy Brewer. Williamson was the varsity back up and JV QB last year and Jordy was the Freshman team QB. Jordy is playing basketball this winter and Larry opted to work out with the football team. Not sure if that will make a whole lot of difference. The sleeper is Austin Maggard incoming freshman who has some potential, but I doubt Larkey goes with a freshman QB, but who knows. Shequille Clark should pick up where Nathanial Gilliam left off at running back. Not real sure about the Defense I believe it will be strong may have a freshman or two contribute on D.

Over all a full off season of working out and practice should make this teams just as exciting as last years.

Brewer took as the JV quarterback midway through last season. I'll be surprised if he's not the starter.

Shequille Clark could be a very good running back, but I don't see him being as explosive as Gilliam. Clark and Green would be a nice combination. I think Taylor and McMillian can provide the big-play threat as they see some action as sophomores.

The defensive line should very good with James Ball and James Phillips at the tackles and Jordan Calton at end.

If Tyler Stewart and Jamille Stewart can come back from injuries, they will have several playmakers, including Green at linebacker and Clark and Dylon Smith as the safeties.

Brewer took as the JV quarterback midway through last season. I'll be surprised if he's not the starter.

Shequille Clark could be a very good running back, but I don't see him being as explosive as Gilliam. Clark and Green would be a nice combination. I think Taylor and McMillian can provide the big-play threat as they see some action as sophomores.

The defensive line should very good with James Ball and James Phillips at the tackles and Jordan Calton at end.

If Tyler Stewart and Jamille Stewart can come back from injuries, they will have several playmakers, including Green at linebacker and Clark and Dylon Smith as the safeties.

I believe Brewer will be QB too, but stranger things have happened, I just don't know if Coach Larkey would start a sophomore at QB. I agree Clark may not have any 400 yard games, but I don't think (as bad as I hate to say it) we will miss Gilliam once Clark and Green get going. Also toward the end of the year Dylon Smith was used as a running back some, he was an awesome middle school back who knows. Taylor and McMillian also got some varsity playing time during the year like you said they could play a role. I also look for him to be one of the top defensive players in the mountains. I also figured Clark as a linebacker? Do you think any freshman will make an impact?

Clark played the safety early where we moved all around the field and looked pretty good. I think Stewart could play the other linebacker if he's healthy.

I'm guessing that Tucker Lewis has the best shot at playing as a freshman.

Clark played the safety early where we moved all around the field and looked pretty good. I think Stewart could play the other linebacker if he's healthy.

I'm guessing that Tucker Lewis has the best shot at playing as a freshman.

That's what I was thinking, the team seems to need a Linebacker or two and Coach Larkey seemed to take interest in him as the season progressed.

Do you want to be bold and predict a record?

I'm just tickeld to see this thread!!!

I think we are good as far as running backs. We need a good QB to replace Blanton. I'm not sure who it will be. We need a couple of good QB's as we found out this year, anything can happen(a broken wrist).

Do you want to be bold and predict a record?

I'm not ready for that yet. I'm guessing it will be somewhere between six and eight wins unless something happens. I think every game is winnable, but there are very few, if any, easy games.

The off-season program is the key, as many have said, especially for the offensive linemen. The defense also has to be more consistent because they probably shouldn't expect quite as much out of the offense with a new quarterback and Gilliam and Simmons graduating.

Don't mean to intrude on the conversation, but IMHO I dont think Stewart will be much of an impact. In no way do I mean this as any thing negative, he's a personal friend of mine, but I just dont see it happening, unless he has some kind of crazy work ethic. I saw him at the Bell County- Boyle game, was the last time I talked to him and he's gained quite a bit of weight, and said he hasnt been lifting or working out much, which should open up for some other players to leap past him on the depth chart, if he returns, I would think.

Don't mean to intrude on the conversation, but IMHO I dont think Stewart will be much of an impact. In no way do I mean this as any thing negative, he's a personal friend of mine, but I just dont see it happening, unless he has some kind of crazy work ethic. I saw him at the Bell County- Boyle game, was the last time I talked to him and he's gained quite a bit of weight, and said he hasnt been lifting or working out much, which should open up for some other players to leap past him on the depth chart, if he returns, I would think.

He hasn't been able to due to his back, doctors orders. He was with the team all year on the sidelines, I'd say he will produce this off-season.

I believe Brewer will be QB too, but stranger things have happened, I just don't know if Coach Larkey would start a sophomore at QB. I agree Clark may not have any 400 yard games, but I don't think (as bad as I hate to say it) we will miss Gilliam once Clark and Green get going. Also toward the end of the year Dylon Smith was used as a running back some, he was an awesome middle school back who knows. Taylor and McMillian also got some varsity playing time during the year like you said they could play a role. I also look for him to be one of the top defensive players in the mountains. I also figured Clark as a linebacker? Do you think any freshman will make an impact?

I may be mistaken but I think during Coach Larkey's last year at Rockcastle he had a sophomore QB start.

Didn't you mention him as one of the top players on the team a year ago?

I may be mistaken but I think during Coach Larkey's last year at Rockcastle he had a sophomore QB start.

He has had several over the years.

Chris Larkey 85-87

Scott Parkey 89-91

Christopher Parsons 98-00

Matthew Burkhart 03-05

Dustin Bishop 07-present

Didn't you mention him as one of the top players on the team a year ago?

Yes, I did Before the injury. I certainly expected him to come in and be a very good player, especially with two years of experience and practice under Larkey, two years he will not be getting. I just personally feel that the injury keeping him from working out running or practicing at all for a full year is definately opening up some doors for others to surpass him. He's a great athlete and has very good potential, but it may be too much to not only get back into playing shape but to also get on the field and prove himself. I really hope he does, as I said he's a friend of mine, I want to see him succeed in every way and i hope he does, but its gonna be an uphill battle.