LCD or Plasma tv?

00Rocket28

Plasma Television Advantages:

For Plasma televisions, the advantages over LCD, are: Better contrast ratio, better ability to render deep blacks, more color depth, better motion tracking (response time), better viewing angles and more availability in very large screen sizes.

LCD Television Advantages:

LCD television advantages include no burn-in susceptibility, cooler running, less screen glare, more functional at high altitudes, longer display life (although improvements are being made in Plasma screen life), looks better in brightly lit rooms.

I have a 50 inch plasma and a 37 inch LCD. I like the plasma 10 times better! No worry for burn in either. Their is a burn-in prevention feature that they tell you to do once every few weeks. It takes 5 minutes and your screen goes from black, to white, to gray. Also, unless you plan on using the TV strictly for gaming, get a 720 instead of a 1080.

Plasma Television Advantages:

For Plasma televisions, the advantages over LCD, are: Better contrast ratio, better ability to render deep blacks, more color depth, better motion tracking (response time), better viewing angles and more availability in very large screen sizes.

LCD Television Advantages:

LCD television advantages include no burn-in susceptibility, cooler running, less screen glare, more functional at high altitudes, longer display life (although improvements are being made in Plasma screen life), looks better in brightly lit rooms.

This really doesn't exist in today's plasma TV's. It did in the original versions a few years ago.

I own 2 LCD's and 1 Plasma (all 50" or larger) and I would choose the plasma hands down.

West KY (Marion I presume) TV reception is NOT great on a Plasma or LCD for the most part. I would highly advise them if they don't have them already to see what HD channels are available and with what companies.

I would definitely go with Plasma if they want a 50 inch, best bang for your buck TV--I would look into the Panasonic and Samsung brands. Do NOT buy overpriced cables from the box stores, get them off the internet!

Look at http://www.avsforum.com for a good place for non-bias reviews!

My parents are 60, they don't watch any blue ray, no games, its going to soley for TV, they aren't technology savvy so they need something with really no maintenance, so what would you recommend?

It won't be all that long before TV HD is broadcast exclusively in 1080, so to stay ahead of the game (and assuming it's in your budget), I'd go for a 1080 plasma. Our Panasonic is awesome and was reasonably priced. I've heard Vizio (sold at Sam's and Wal-mart) is not bad for a discount brand, but have no firsthand experience with them.