2009 Bell County

Ram

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are all of the Bell Co. faithfull? I figured this thread would have 50 posts by now. I guess I will start. Bell needs to keep on doing the same thing because you don't fix was isn't broken. With that being said I believe they will be beatable. They were almost beaten last year twice by Knox and in the championship game. They lost some great athletes and players/positions on both sides of the ball. Now, I know they will replace them with some good athletes but sometimes you just can't get the quality of athlete you lost and I beleive that will be the case. With that being said I still think they are at least a top 5 team for 2009 until it is proven different!

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Where are all of the Bell Co. faithfull? I figured this thread would have 50 posts by now. I guess I will start. Bell needs to keep on doing the same thing because you don't fix was isn't broken. With that being said I believe they will be beatable. They were almost beaten last year twice by Knox and in the championship game. They lost some great athletes and players/positions on both sides of the ball. Now, i know they will replace them with some good athletes but sometimes you just can't get the quality of athlete you lost and I beleive that will be the case. With that being said I still think they are at least a top 5 team for 2009 until it is proven different!

Just a bit of information, the first game with Knox was 21-0, I dont think that was nearly being beat personally. The second game was close, and you gave Boyle no credit, IMO they gave us the best game of the year. The Final score against BE was close yes, but it was a whole new game in the second half of it when the Bell boys settled down and coach Hilton tore into them during half time. BE definately gained the respect of the Bell fans though. With that being said...

Bell lost 13 very talented seniors, but IMO they are replaceable. The biggest problem for the 2009 Bobcats will be special teams. Losing Merrick is a HUGE loss, the biggest IMO. Big difference in teams starting from the 20 every time instead of possible 30- 40 yard line, or even risking a TD return. The strength of Bell County since as long as I can remember is in the run. Greer was a very talented kid, but in my personal opinion was'nt even the best back on the team and I think that showed in the championship game and throught the playoffs, given he was battling injuries. Carton will be a load for anyone to bring down this comming year, and has been since his freshman season when given carries. Cory Davenport looks like a capable back, has some good speed and is a big play guy, plus two very athletic fast kids comming in from 8th grade in Jonathan Polly and Ryan Collett who can both play at different spots on the field on both defense and offense, and depending on how they look over summer, may get some varsity playing time, I've heard good thigns about both from coach Hilton himself at the 8th grade games I attended. At QB, Zachery will also be missed but copetition for the starting spot should be there with soon to be junior Ben Madon, and upcoming freshman Cory Oslonian, who by the way was a middle school All American and played in the MS All American game in I beleive Texas, tremendous athlete there, can play both sides and has an incredibly strong arm from what I've saw. The O-line for bell will mostly be seniors, and should be one of the best in the state.

The biggest losses on this team will be on defense, with Simpson, Zachery, and Harbin being the key losses. But they also return some big time playmakers and athletes in Matt Raines, Keith Lowe, JD Hilton, both Davenports can play D, and most of the D Line will be seniors/juniors and the upcomming freshman class is an extremely athletic bunch, wouldnt be surprised if a few of them work their way into some playing time on defense.

All this being said, looking over the schedule that I know of right now, barring any major upsets or turn of events for the worse, I'm only seeing the potential of 2 losses, not to sound cocky or confident, just my opinion. I'm sure some will know who the 2 possibilities are. :thumb: Hope this wasn't to much reading for anyone or offensive to anyone at all.

Where are all of the Bell Co. faithfull? I figured this thread would have 50 posts by now. I guess I will start. Bell needs to keep on doing the same thing because you don't fix was isn't broken. With that being said I believe they will be beatable. They were almost beaten last year twice by Knox and in the championship game. They lost some great athletes and players/positions on both sides of the ball. Now, I know they will replace them with some good athletes but sometimes you just can't get the quality of athlete you lost and I beleive that will be the case. With that being said I still think they are at least a top 5 team for 2009 until it is proven different!

Do you not feel that the Boyle/Bell game was not close?

Bell will be Bell as simple as that. They will have to find replacements for Goodin at FB, Merrick at PK/punter, and Harbin at DT, those will be the hardest postions with the current roster. Everyone else is very replaceable. The strength for this team will be the OL and the entire defense. The OL is lead by 3 3-year starters with Marcum, Howard, and Collett. They have a number of players ready to compete for the remaining 2 OL spots. The DL will be very quick and strong with 4 year starter Billy Lawson leading the way with, Carton, and Marcum joining. Up to 5 or 6 other players could see time at the other spot. LB'ers will be returning starters Hilton, Lowe, Mills joined by Jr. Josh Brown who started a few games in 08. The secondary returns starters Raines, both of the Davenport brothers and Madon who split time with Zachary.

Bell will be Bell as simple as that. They will have to find replacements for Goodin at FB, Merrick at PK/punter, and Harbin at DT, those will be the hardest postions with the current roster. Everyone else is very replaceable. The strength for this team will be the OL and the entire defense. The OL is lead by 3 3-year starters with Marcum, Howard, and Collett. They have a number of players ready to compete for the remaining 2 OL spots. The DL will be very quick and strong with 4 year starter Billy Lawson leading the way with, Carton, and Marcum joining. Up to 5 or 6 other players could see time at the other spot. LB'ers will be returning starters Hilton, Lowe, Mills joined by Jr. Josh Brown who started a few games in 08. The secondary returns starters Raines, both of the Davenport brothers and Madon who split time with Zachary.

Josh Brown could be a very good replacement for Goodin at FB. If anyone has ever saw JB run, Very similar runner to Goodin, just with probably more speed. Tough, strong, downhill runners.

Josh Brown could be a very good replacement for Goodin at FB. If anyone has ever saw JB run, Very similar runner to Goodin, just with probably more speed. Tough, strong, downhill runners.

I would think he would be the #1 candidate but he must work on his conditioning. I saw him a few weeks ago at a basketball game and he looked pretty heavy.

I would think he would be the #1 candidate but he must work on his conditioning. I saw him a few weeks ago at a basketball game and he looked pretty heavy.

I see Josh quite often, I'd say honestly he and Goodin of last season are about equal in condition. Brown has been lifting pretty hard over the offseason I know. But I would say come time for the season he'll be in good enough shape to play both sides of the ball, that hill running in the heat over summer works wonders.:thumb:

Just a bit of information, the first game with Knox was 21-0, I dont think that was nearly being beat personally. The second game was close, and you gave Boyle no credit, IMO they gave us the best game of the year. The Final score against BE was close yes, but it was a whole new game in the second half of it when the Bell boys settled down and coach Hilton tore into them during half time. BE definately gained the respect of the Bell fans though. With that being said...

Bell lost 13 very talented seniors, but IMO they are replaceable. The biggest problem for the 2009 Bobcats will be special teams. Losing Merrick is a HUGE loss, the biggest IMO. Big difference in teams starting from the 20 every time instead of possible 30- 40 yard line, or even risking a TD return. The strength of Bell County since as long as I can remember is in the run. Greer was a very talented kid, but in my personal opinion was'nt even the best back on the team and I think that showed in the championship game and throught the playoffs, given he was battling injuries. Carton will be a load for anyone to bring down this comming year, and has been since his freshman season when given carries. Cory Davenport looks like a capable back, has some good speed and is a big play guy, plus two very athletic fast kids comming in from 8th grade in Jonathan Polly and Ryan Collett who can both play at different spots on the field on both defense and offense, and depending on how they look over summer, may get some varsity playing time, I've heard good thigns about both from coach Hilton himself at the 8th grade games I attended. At QB, Zachery will also be missed but copetition for the starting spot should be there with soon to be junior Ben Madon, and upcoming freshman Cory Oslonian, who by the way was a middle school All American and played in the MS All American game in I beleive Texas, tremendous athlete there, can play both sides and has an incredibly strong arm from what I've saw. The O-line for bell will mostly be seniors, and should be one of the best in the state.

The biggest losses on this team will be on defense, with Simpson, Zachery, and Harbin being the key losses. But they also return some big time playmakers and athletes in Matt Raines, Keith Lowe, JD Hilton, both Davenports can play D, and most of the D Line will be seniors/juniors and the upcomming freshman class is an extremely athletic bunch, wouldnt be surprised if a few of them work their way into some playing time on defense.

All this being said, looking over the schedule that I know of right now, barring any major upsets or turn of events for the worse, I'm only seeing the potential of 2 losses, not to sound cocky or confident, just my opinion. I'm sure some will know who the 2 possibilities are. :thumb: Hope this wasn't to much reading for anyone or offensive to anyone at all.

I think this is a great rundown of Bell counties losses and who they have to replace those losses. I think it has been written with a touch of class from a supporter of their very fine football program. Well done :thumb: and good luck with the 2009 season!

Do you not feel that the Boyle/Bell game was not close?

I certainly wasn't trying to ruffle the feather of the Boyle Co faithfull. I have great respect for your football program as it has beem and is one of the best in the state. I was just very aware of the other three games because two of them were in district and the other I watched in person. Quite frankly I just didn't think of the Boyle/Bell game when I made the post (my apologies) because of the above stated reasons. It was a very close game that Boyle had a chance to win and is another game that supports my earlier post. Like I always say, the ball we play with isn't round and takes funny hops and that is why we have good teams that beat great teams every Friday night which in turn means that everyone is beatable! Good luck to everyone this upcoming season unless you are playing the Raiders from M.C.!

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that Matt Raines is really burning it up in track this season look for bigger and better things out of him this coming up season. Heard in a combine in Cincy that he got he defensive MVP out of a 100 kids. They have alot of kids staying after school conditioning and doing stuff on their own as well what one of the assistants told me this past week. Don't look for Bell Co to fall far from the top this season and could be bringing another title back to Log Mountain.

I heard that Matt Raines is really burning it up in track this season look for bigger and better things out of him this coming up season. Heard in a combine in Cincy that he got he defensive MVP out of a 100 kids. They have alot of kids staying after school conditioning and doing stuff on their own as well what one of the assistants told me this past week. Don't look for Bell Co to fall far from the top this season and could be bringing another title back to Log Mountain.

Matt Raines has improved greatly and really buckled down in conditioning this offseason and over track. He's added bulk, the kid seems bigger everytime I see him. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if he turned out to be in the running for Mr. Football at the end of the season. I've posted several times on here, and said it many times at games, he is by far IMO the best pure athlete on this Bell Co. team. Also saw Dominic Carton today, to me looks like he's cut some weight and been adding more muscle. The majority of the team seems extremely motivated not to just stop at one run to state, but to bring several back to the mountains. I'm itching for Bell's Midnight Madness to get here:ylsuper:

Matt Raines has improved greatly and really buckled down in conditioning this offseason and over track. He's added bulk, the kid seems bigger everytime I see him. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if he turned out to be in the running for Mr. Football at the end of the season. I've posted several times on here, and said it many times at games, he is by far IMO the best pure athlete on this Bell Co. team. Also saw Dominic Carton today, to me looks like he's cut some weight and been adding more muscle. The majority of the team seems extremely motivated not to just stop at one run to state, but to bring several back to the mountains. I'm itching for Bell's Midnight Madness to get here:ylsuper:

I haven't seen either one of them in a while. That sounds really good and not to promising for the other teams that are on their schedule. It wouldn't shock me to see this team bring it home next season and to be going for a 3-peat.