If Prop 20 passes...

ColonelCrazy

and private schools leave the KHSAA, will any public schools leave with them?

I'm not sure how it would happen, but why would schools like Highlands, Boyle County or any opponents to Prop 20 want to stay in the KHSAA? We all know that Highlands & Boyle County can win in football, where a difference in numbers means the most.

It is my understanding that a school governed by the KHSAA cannot play another in-state school that is not governed by the KHSAA. That would mean that, if Prop 20 passes, and if the privates leave, that Highlands would not be able to play Covington Catholic, Male / Manual would not be able to play Trinity / X.

Would any publics leave with the privates, or would they simply stay in the "new" KHSAA and be happy with their state championships?

I'm not sure how it would happen, but why would schools like Highlands, Boyle County or any opponents to Prop 20 want to stay in the KHSAA? We all know that Highlands & Boyle County can win in football, where a difference in numbers means the most.

It is my understanding that a school governed by the KHSAA cannot play another in-state school that is not governed by the KHSAA. That would mean that, if Prop 20 passes, and if the privates leave, that Highlands would not be able to play Covington Catholic, Male / Manual would not be able to play Trinity / X.

Would any publics leave with the privates, or would they simply stay in the "new" KHSAA and be happy with their state championships?

Great thread.

In football it would make sense, but would it make sense in other sports? I will have to think about this more.

I know that Manual would stay in the KHSAA and would still be open to play St.X and Trinity at all levels if this should pass. That said, with Mrs. Keepers on the list of cosponsers to prop 20, I doubt very much that the privates would want to play us in the regular season. And I can understand why. But prop 20 is about playoffs I think not regular season games.

I know that Manual would stay in the KHSAA and would still be open to play St.X and Trinity at all levels if this should pass. That said, with Mrs. Keepers on the list of cosponsers to prop 20, I doubt very much that the privates would want to play us in the regular season. And I can understand why. But prop 20 is about playoffs I think not regular season games.

I think you missed a very important part. If St. X & Trinity leave, according to KHSAA guidelines, they will not be allowed to play Manual, Male, or any other KHSAA school.

The only way for them to play, would be for Manual / Male etc. to drop out of the KHSAA as well. Will that happen? Is the rivalry between these schools enough to make the private schools stay in the KHSAA? I don't think it is, but it'll be interesting to see if Prop 20 passes.

No. They will not leave. They'll stay for all of the other sports and HOPE the proposal gets overturned.

Even at HHS, the decision cannot simply be based on football.

No, the decision cannot be based soley on football. You're right about that; however, if Highlands or any other school is out of the KHSAA, then they too would be able to attract students from anywhere, could they not? That would allow them to "pick & choose" athletes, much like some of the private schools are being accused of currently. As it stands now, Highlands and other public schools can compete with the private powerhouses in a few sports. Would the increased revenue in football and basketball and other sports be worth the move, or would they continue to play in the KHSAA?

I think you missed a very important part. If St. X & Trinity leave, according to KHSAA guidelines, they will not be allowed to play Manual, Male, or any other KHSAA school.

The only way for them to play, would be for Manual / Male etc. to drop out of the KHSAA as well. Will that happen? Is the rivalry between these schools enough to make the private schools stay in the KHSAA? I don't think it is, but it'll be interesting to see if Prop 20 passes.

No that is not the case the prop clearly states that Non-public and publics schools MAY play in regular season, only the play off would be Split, or if the privates left then only the publics would be in the KHSAA would play for a state title.

No that is not the case the prop clearly states that Non-public and publics schools MAY play in regular season, only the play off would be Split, or if the privates left then only the publics would be in the KHSAA would play for a state title.

Reread his first post...

Wow, at least we'll have a heck of a regular season schedule.......maybe.

If any public schools aren't scared. They are scared in the playoffs, but in the regular season where they can afford a butt whipping, it's ok.

Hey if you know you're beat, eliminate the competition. That's my mottoe to live by.

What a disservice these administrators are doing to these kids.

At least the publics are admitting defeat and inferiority.

I have not read the prop, but from my understanding, there is currently a rule that states that schools in the state of Kentucky, who do not play under KHSAA guidelines, may not play schools in the KHSAA. Is that correct?

If so, wouldn't that mean that the KHSAA schools (the publics) would not be allowed to play the privates who left the KHSAA? That is, if the privates just left the KHSAA altogether and started their own association.

Reread his first post...
Ok. I understand that, but judging from the language in prop 20 it is clear that the publics want to keep open the possiblity of playing in the regular season. Thus that rule would probably be changed to fit the new set of conditions.

Ok. I understand that, but judging from the language in prop 20 it is clear that the publics want to keep open the possiblity of playing in the regular season. Thus that rule would probably be changed to fit the new set of conditions.

The question revolves around the Privates and maybe others leaving the KHSAA. It's not a direct Prop 20 Question. It's a hypothetical about a future reaction to such nonsense...