Lexington Catholic Football/Baseball to face sanctions.

Birdsfan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the article it really seems like the KHSAA is looking for anything against them. If the same aid is given to an non-athlete, what is the big deal then? Lets say for a person who is a math wiz is their Academic team penalized for wrongdoing?

Too often in today's society we put too much emphasis (sp?) on sports, and not enough in education. Even the NCAA does this too, a kid cannot go to school to play sports unless they are academically eligible, but your everyday kid that barely carried a C average in high school does not have to score as high as the athletes. Why as an society do we put so much pressure on these kids when most of them only want to have fun in their teenage years.

After reading the article it really seems like the KHSAA is looking for anything against them. If the same aid is given to an non-athlete, what is the big deal then? Lets say for a person who is a math wiz is their Academic team penalized for wrongdoing?

Too often in today's society we put too much emphasis (sp?) on sports, and not enough in education. Even the NCAA does this too, a kid cannot go to school to play sports unless they are academically eligible, but your everyday kid that barely carried a C average in high school does not have to score as high as the athletes. Why as an society do we put so much pressure on these kids when most of them only want to have fun in their teenage years.

There are very specific guidelines to follow for deciding financial aid in private schools. Basically, it means the family submits financial data only (no Names)to a third party who decides if aid is to be given and recommends an amount based on the need of the family and the total money available. If those guidelines were not followed, then LC should receive the appropriate penalty.

There are very specific guidelines to follow for deciding financial aid in private schools. Basically, it means the family submits financial data only (no Names)to a third party who decides if aid is to be given and recommends an amount based on the need of the family and the total money available. If those guidelines were not followed, then LC should receive the appropriate penalty.

As a St.X parent and someone who applied for aid, I can tell you of the process that I followed - apply in great financial detail to a 3rd party and they make the decision. I for one don't want to be a part of a school that does anything other than what they profess - that is a part of the values I believe and want taught to my son and I'm sure this isn't exclusive to Catholic schools. I have yet to see anything at St.X that shows different. IF Lex. Catholic did otherwise they should punish those involved, and accept the consequences while admitting wrongdoing. The school, tradition and values are more important than any one person or accomplishment.

I do wish that this type of energy and fervor could be poured into education and what is being taught and why does it work or not. I am an avid sports fan, have children that play spots etc. In the end for me, it is about team, effort, love of the game, and the guys you play with. The wins are icing. Very, very nice icing, but in the end, service to the community, educating the mind, and having a great family atmosphere to grow up in is the most important factors. I found that at St. X. .

Here is a copy of the Lex. Cath. press release regarding the KHSAA findings. It can be found on their website.

Lexington, Kentucky - LEXINGTON CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL HAS RECEIVED COMMISSIONER DEVRIES’ RULING ALLEGING VIOLATIONS OF BYLAW 10 FROM INFORMATION THAT THE SCHOOL WILLINGLY PROVIDED TO THE KHSAA. THE SCHOOL’S MISSION STATEMENT REQUIRES LEXINGTON CATHOLIC TO HELP FAMILIES WHO ARE ALREADY ENROLLED IN THE SCHOOL WHO ENCOUNTER SIGNIFICANT PERSONAL DIFFICULTIES. WHILE OUR MISSION HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HELPING OUR LEXINGTON CATHOLIC FAMILIES WHEN THEY ENCOUNTER HARDSHIP SUCH AS LOSS OF JOB, LOSS OF PROPERTY, OR LOSS OF LIFE, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INFLUENCING STUDENTS TO PLAY ATHLETICS. IN FACT, LEXINGTON CATHOLIC PROVIDES THIS SAME FINANCIAL AID TO FAMILIES OF NON-ATHLETES AS WELL. IN ALL BUT ONE OF THE CITED VIOLATIONS, THE AWARD OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE MID YEAR WAS DONE ANONYMOUSLY. IN THE REMAINING CASE, ALTHOUGH NOT DONE ANONYMOUSLY, LEXINGTON CATHOLIC MADE THE AWARD IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS MISSION AND NOT TO RECRUIT OR MAINTAIN A STUDENT ATHLETE IN THE SCHOOL. IF THOSE ACTIONS CONFLICTED WITH A PROVISION OF THE KHSAA, IT WAS INADVERTENT AND THE SCHOOL APOLOGIZES FOR IT. NEVERTHELESS, LEXINGTON CATHOLIC TAKES COMMISSIONER DEVRIES’ RULING VERY SERIOUSLY AND HAS ALREADY IMPLEMENTED PROCEDURES AT THE SCHOOL TO ASSURE STRICT COMPLIANCE WITH THE BYLAWS OF THE KHSAA.

You know that's what many in CKY are thinking when they hear about this.

And I know you're not taking a shot at ME, right?

I know that what's MANY are thinking...one get's caught and now it can be said "see all those catholic schools do it." :rolleyes:

I firmly believe that ANY school that break the rules should be punished....Private or Public!! I do know that rules are broken in our state by schools....Private AND PUBLIC....BOTH are WRONG to do this!

I do think it is much easier to track down a private school that is breaking the rules due to tuition....in the public system breaking the rules can me much harder to prove BUT it does happen.

Taking no shot at you.

Stating a point that rules are broken on both sides of the fence!!!!

Well I knew about this very early yesterday and do know some of the situation. Sanctions should not affect this year's football team because the kid in question isn't at the school this year and didn't play for the team any this season. Still the school has admitted they gave financial aid wrongly though the reason is being stated as non sport related.

I know that what's MANY are thinking...one get's caught and now it can be said "see all those catholic schools do it." :rolleyes:

I firmly believe that ANY school that break the rules should be punished....Private or Public!! I do know that rules are broken in our state by schools....Private AND PUBLIC....BOTH are WRONG to do this!

I do think it is much easier to track down a private school that is breaking the rules due to tuition....in the public system breaking the rules can me much harder to prove BUT it does happen.

Taking no shot at you.

:thumb:

Taking no shot at you.

All fine. However, which school seems to be the #1 target of those that are making accusations of improprieties?