Different Levels of KHSAA

ladiesbballcoach

I am proposing this compromise. I quickly admit that I have not spent hours poring over this plan but hastily place it in front of you for your consideration.

High Schools are either automatically placed in a level based upon certain criteria or can choose to be in a certain level.

Level 1 1200 students or more, 9th through 12th grade. For those without a 9th grade directly in the HS, 900 students or more, 10th through 12th grade.

Level 2 Students receive financial aid or school systems with open enrollment.

Level 3 School systems that have closed boundaries, no financial aid and are more than 800 students 9-12.

Level 4 School systems that have closed boundaries, no financial aid and are less than 800 students 9-12.

I have tried to setup a system that allows like to schools to compete against like schools.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Define open enrollment (as in Louisville? as in independent?)

You realize that you are putting Covington Latin in with Trinity, St.X, and Male in Level 2?

I believe Trinity, St. X and Male would all be in Level 1 based on size, would they not?

Open enrollment is accepting students outside of your designed natural school territory. Those would have to be determined. 20-mile radius that has been proposed is fine with me.

I believe Trinity, St. X and Male would all be in Level 1 based on size, would they not?

Open enrollment is accepting students outside of your designed natural school territory. Those would have to be determined. 20-mile radius that has been proposed is fine with me.

You have lost me then.

Why wouldn't Level 2 be Trinity? They give financial aid. Why wouldn't Male be level 2? They have open enrollment.

ANY school, private or public, over 1200 students immediately goes into Level 1.

Still confused.

So if a school of 700 has 100 out of district kids but they are all within 20 miles they are level 4 ............but if a school of 700 has 10 out of district kids but 2 of them are 30 miles away they are level 2?

A private school of 100 kids all within 20 miles is level 2? A school of 1000 with open enrollment and 2 students not within 20 miles is level 2? What if the two students do not play sports, mom just teaches there?

Still confused.

So if a school of 700 has 100 out of district kids but they are all within 20 miles they are level 4 ............but if a school of 700 has 10 out of district kids but 2 of them are 30 miles away they are level 2?

A private school of 100 kids all within 20 miles is level 2? A school of 1000 with open enrollment and 2 students not within 20 miles is level 2? What if the two students do not play sports, mom just teaches there?

Remember I did not say it is foolproof and there will always be unique situations that will not fall easily into a category.

Any out of district athletes make you Level 2 unless you have more than 1200 students and you are Level 1.

If financial aid is provided to athletes, Level 2. They would not be competing against the huge over 1200 kids in Level 2.

Financial aid and open enrollment is for ATHLETES only. The KHSAA should not care about what is going on with the flute section of the band.

Remember I did not say it is foolproof and there will always be unique situations that will not fall easily into a category.

Any out of district athletes make you Level 2 unless you have more than 1200 students and you are Level 1.

If financial aid is provided to athletes, Level 2. They would not be competing against the huge over 1200 kids in Level 2.

Financial aid and open enrollment is for ATHLETES only. The KHSAA should not care about what is going on with the flute section of the band.

Okay, I realize it is not fool-proof nor is it meant to be.

But you realize that if Joey now decides as a Junior to play football for the first time because he got his license over the summer, is now 6'5" 260, and can drive the 30 MILES to and from school now, he just bumped his team from Level 4 to Level 2.

So only Trinity and St.X would be Level 1. The rest of the private schools would all be Level 2. The independents could be Level 2 or not depending on the natural limit designation?

Okay, I realize it is not fool-proof nor is it meant to be.

But you realize that if Joey now decides as a Junior to play football for the first time because he got his license over the summer, is now 6'5" 260, and can drive the 30 MILES to and from school now, he just bumped his team from Level 4 to Level 2.

So only Trinity and St.X would be Level 1. The rest of the private schools would all be Level 2. The independents could be Level 2 or not depending on the natural limit designation?

Great point with paragraph 2. Maybe some sort of waiver, if they child has attended school for one year, than they receive the waiver.

There would be some public schools in Level 1. I assume there are some public schools over 1200. How far is LexCath from 1200 students. Wasn't it 5-6 years ago, they were still Class A. The rate they are growing and no other central KY catholic school, 1200 students is probably in their near future.

The independents could always choose to not have open enrollment and stay in Level 4.

Great point with paragraph 2. Maybe some sort of waiver, if they child has attended school for one year, than they receive the waiver.

There would be some public schools in Level 1. I assume there are some public schools over 1200. How far is LexCath from 1200 students. Wasn't it 5-6 years ago, they were still Class A. The rate they are growing and no other central KY catholic school, 1200 students is probably in their near future.

The independents could always choose to not have open enrollment and stay in Level 4.

What if we amended your proposal to:

Level 1 : Schools with 1600 or more students

Level 2 : Schools with 1000 to 1599 students

Level 3: Schools with 500 to 999 students

Level 4: Schools with 0 to 499 students

Level 5: Schools offering aid or open enrollment that accepts students more than 25 miles away and has 700 or more students

Level 6: Schools offering aid or open enrollment that accepts students more than 25 miles away and has 700 or less students

Think about what schools would fall into what level and would it change anything football-wise?

What if we amended your proposal to:

Level 1 : Schools with 1600 or more students

Level 2 : Schools with 1000 to 1599 students

Level 3: Schools with 500 to 999 students

Level 4: Schools with 0 to 499 students

Level 5: Schools offering aid or open enrollment that accepts students more than 25 miles away and has 700 or more students

Level 6: Schools offering aid or open enrollment that accepts students more than 25 miles away and has 700 or less students

Think about what schools would fall into what level and would it change anything football-wise?

Are there enough schools to warrant 6 divisions in alot of the sports? I stayed at 4 because I did not want to end up with a division with 20 schools statewide.

Level 2 would end up having 50-75% more schools in it than levels 3 or 4.

I don't think so. I think the VAST majority of public schools do not have open enrollment. I do not think most, maybe even in the 90%, rural schools have open enrollment or it would be very easy for them to close that door.

I don't think so. I think the VAST majority of public schools do not have open enrollment. I do not think most, maybe even in the 90%, rural schools have open enrollment or it would be very easy for them to close that door.

Didn't we have a count on the independent schools on here somewhere? I want to say it was in the 50-60 range? Add in 48 private schools and you are near 100.

Didn't we have a count on the independent schools on here somewhere? I want to say it was in the 50-60 range? Add in 48 private schools and you are near 100.

Do all independents have open enrollment? Some may choose not to.

If that is the case, than we might need to have 2 divisions there as Level 4 and 5 are BUT then you really are stretching out the numbers. 5 divisions, best case scenario means 40 teams, football-wise while other sports would be significantly lower, per level.

Level 2 might need to got to 2 divisions and Level 3 and 4 combined. So let's redo my levels.

Level 1 1100 students and higher.

Level 2 1100 students to 650 students with open enrollment and/or financial aid

Level 3 650 students and lower with open enrollment and/or financial aid

Level 4 Lower than 1100 students with NO open enrollment and NO financial aid for ATHLETES

Silly task force does not need 37 members, just APNW and me.