Lexington Catholic 91 Clay 68

Wonder what this says about Clay's chances against SL, if they meet? Alot of ppl thought Clay might have a chance against SL if they met in the region tourney, since the region tourney is at Clay. That looks doubtful after such a tough loss at home, this late in the season.

Wonder what this says about Clay's chances against SL, if they meet? Alot of ppl thought Clay might have a chance against SL if they met in the region tourney, since the region tourney is at Clay. That looks doubtful after such a tough loss at home, this late in the season.

IMO it doesn't say anything about Clay's chances against SL. "IF" Clay & SL meet in the final of the region, what happened with LC means nothing. Many things would have to happen before Clay or any other team in the 13th upset SL. Sad part of it all, SL would stand about the same chance with several teams out of the 13th from 10 to 15 years ago. IMO SL is just a decent HS team compared to MANY teams I've seen over the past 20 years, not only in the 13th but state wide. What is happening to HS basketball, especially in the 13th? :confused:

IMO it doesn't say anything about Clay's chances against SL. "IF" Clay & SL meet in the final of the region, what happened with LC means nothing. Many things would have to happen before Clay or any other team in the 13th upset SL. Sad part of it all, SL would stand about the same chance with several teams out of the 13th from 10 to 15 years ago. IMO SL is just a decent HS team compared to MANY teams I've seen over the past 20 years, not only in the 13th but state wide. What is happening to HS basketball, especially in the 13th? :confused:

I can tell you two things that I think has happened to basketball in the 13th region:

1.) The vast majority of the teams in the 13th have become football dominated schools, not basketball dominated. Most of the best athletes dont even play basketball anymore, they play football.

2.) Also, most the 13th schools, for one reason or the other, dont have the numbers to compete at the upper echelon anymore.

Talent, at least on a team scale, IMO, is at a all time low in the 13th. This doesnt mean there arent great individual players, because there are. It just means that there arent great teams.

As far as the bolded statement. I'd have to say alot of that is a "nostalgic biasis" on your part. If SL can

1.) win a state championship, and may be one of the very few teams in the history of the state to ever repeat

2.) compete against the best in this state

3.) compete against the best in the nation (i.e. North College Hill)

Then I'd be willing to say that they could AT LEAST hold there own with just about any team in the 13th region in the last 20 years. To say they are just a decent HS team compared to some of the teams the 13th region has produced in the last 20 years is definantly sour grapes.

I can tell you two things that I think has happened to basketball in the 13th region:

1.) The vast majority of the teams in the 13th have become football dominated schools, not basketball dominated. Most of the best athletes dont even play basketball anymore, they play football.

2.) Also, most the 13th schools, for one reason or the other, dont have the numbers to compete at the upper echelon anymore.

Talent, at least on a team scale, IMO, is at a all time low in the 13th. This doesnt mean there arent great individual players, because there are. It just means that there arent great teams.

As far as the bolded statement. I'd have to say alot of that is a "nostalgic biasis" on your part. If SL can

1.) win a state championship, and may be one of the very few teams in the history of the state to ever repeat

Then I'd be willing to say that they could AT LEAST hold there own with just about any team in the 13th region in the last 20 years. To say they are just a decent HS team compared to some of the teams the 13th region has produced in the last 20 years is definantly sour grapes.

Great post.

Call it what you will, sour grapes, I don't think so. Any time a post is made that doesn't show SL as a GODS gift to HS basketball you & a few more get your boxers in a wad. Your girlfreind has to be from Laurel County. ;) It's known by just about everybody that basketball is down in the state of Kentucky, not just this year but over the past 7 or 8. I congratulate SL for all their accomplishments and if they win the 13th I hope they repeat. As far as North College Hill is concerned, I attended the game and SL made a valiant effort against a much better opponent. BUT, I do know that it was a possesion and a foul away from being a complete massacre. I have a feeling that there are so many posters on here that don't have a clue what kind of basketball was played in the 13th region over 10 years ago. Look up some old timers that followed the sport and will give you an honest opinion. Don't look in Clay or Laurel for that opinion though, they will be biased. :thumb: Oh yea, do you think the increase in Middle Schools have anything to do with the decline?