CovCath vs. Apollo Predictions

I know nothing of Apollo. Maybe a 3rd region fan could give us a rundown of them? I will give the basics of CovCath:

Starting Lineup

PG Tim Tierney 5"11

SG Todd Jacobs 6"0

SF Kurt Bovard 6"0

PF Danny Noll 6"5

C Michael Young 6"5

All starters but Young are excellent 3 point shooters. The Colonels have no glaring weakness, except maybe a back to the basket scorer. They survived earlier in the year on an attacking defense, and now the offense is coming around to compliment it very well. Top scorers are usually Jacobs and Tierney, but Danny Noll exploded for a 30 point game Friday en route to a 9th Region Tourney MVP. They play 7-9 players per game, all of which are very athletic.

CovCath has been scoring in the 60's and 70's lately.....will Apollo have enough offense to respond?

What I have been most impressed about from this CovCath team, is their "D". Beating Cov Holy Cross on their home floor, then beating Holmes last years 9th Region Champion, then beating Ryle on their home floor, then the second best team in NKy Highlands by 18, then beating the 9th Regions All "A" Classic winner NCC all by an average of 15 points a game, while only giving up a average of 50 points a game. Now that "D" all with out taking the air out of the ball or playing a slow down game......

Covington Catholic has been tested ever since the tourny began. I looked back at the scores and they have won the past 5 games (tourny games) by an average of 14.6 points per game. And the teams that they have played aren't what you would call cake walks either.

Covington Catholic has been tested ever since the tourny began. I looked back at the scores and they have won the past 5 games (tourny games) by an average of 14.6 points per game. And the teams that they have played aren't what you would call cake walks either.

They have played numbers 2, 3, 4 in the region, All A 9th region champs and the region host team. Solid Road for CCH.

I won't make any predictions on the game, but I will try to provide a little info on the Apollo Eagles. They average giving up 50.3 points a game while scoring 55.5 points a game. They have three very good guards with Doug Denton, Jake Wells, and Tyler Brown. Denton and Wells are Seniors and have Sweet Sixteen experience from two years ago. Brown is just a Sophomore, but he is VERY athletic. They do have a little size on their interior game, but their guard play is the strength of the team

They are a very solid defensive team. Of their ten loses this year nine of them have been fairly close for a margin of 44 points total in those nine games. If they play you like they played us in both games, they will spread the defense until they get the shot they want. I guess you could say they are very methodical in their offensive play.

Good luck to both teams, but I hope you don't mind that I am pulling for Apollo as they are representing my Region and I know one kid on their team!!!

I won't make any predictions on the game, but I will try to provide a little info on the Apollo Eagles. They average giving up 50.3 points a game while scoring 55.5 points a game. They have three very good guards with Doug Denton, Jake Wells, and Tyler Brown. Denton and Wells are Seniors and have Sweet Sixteen experience from two years ago. Brown is just a Sophomore, but he is VERY athletic. They do have a little size on their interior game, but their guard play is the strength of the team

They are a very solid defensive team. Of their ten loses this year nine of them have been fairly close for a margin of 44 points total in those nine games. If they play you like they played us in both games, they will spread the defense until they get the shot they want. I guess you could say they are very methodical in their offensive play.

Good luck to both teams, but I hope you don't mind that I am pulling for Apollo as they are representing my Region and I know one kid on their team!!!

Nice breakdown. Sounds like Apollo is playing well and CovCath will have their hands full in this one.

No opinion on the Apollo match up has I am unfamiliar with them. Simply disagree with the low scoring game view for CCH. They do not favor a low scoring game...?. They press from start to finish...they push the ball, shoot the three out of transition with confidence, they jump the ball and trap constantly...they push the tempo for 32 minutes...

No opinion on the Apollo match up has I am unfamiliar with them. Simply disagree with the low scoring game view for CCH. They do not favor a low scoring game...?. They press from start to finish...they push the ball, shoot the three out of transition with confidence, they jump the ball and trap constantly...they push the tempo for 32 minutes...

When I said fairly low scoring I meant like 50's to 60's, rather than some teams like Scott as you remember that it got to the 90's.

I agree with you on that...they play defense like a team that wants it low...but they would gladly go 80+ offensively. They just don't let the game open enough to go that high...Coach L doesn't have the stomach to let it fly...(