Scott County's Rodney Haddix ineligible for senior season

Since he's a multi-sport star, I wasn't sure where to put this. Went with FB, since it's the nearest sport, calendarically (is that a word?).

Anyway, according to Mike Fields' column in the Herald-Leader on Friday, Haddix, who would be a senior, has been ruled ineligible to play next season.

According to Fields, Haddix is only 17, but repeated the 8th grade, which is where the rub comes from (bylaw 4 of the KHSAA handbook). He apparently went to St. Joes Catholic school, and tested into the 8th grade after completing same grade at Scott Co. MS.

Obviously, his parents are appealing the ruling.

"We did it for him as a student," said his father, Rodney Sr. "It wasn't about sports. We tried to do the right thing, but now it's like we did the wrong thing."

Mike's column; the Haddix portion is about midway down the page

This is a huge blow to a team that had big goals for not only the FB postseason, but even more so in hoops. SC had to be the preseason favorite to win the Sweet 16 in hoops.

Discuss.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read 4.1c a couple of times. To me, it deals with repeating grades 9 through 12 unless it is simply worded oddly. Even the part that deals with starting with 4th grade seems to only deal with repeating grades 9 through 12.

I read 4.1c a couple of times. To me, it deals with repeating grades 9 through 12 unless it is simply worded oddly. Even the part that deals with starting with 4th grade seems to only deal with repeating grades 9 through 12.

So if I get this right, per the KHSAA bylaws; an athleticly gifted kid could play varsity from grades 6-12 (6 years varsity); but could repeat 8th grade for academic reasons, go to high school and sit the bench (frosh and JV) for three years and not be eligible for varsity his senior year (1 year varsity)----Makes perfect sense???? :confused:

Is the kid 19 before the start of the season or school year? If so...

But if not, it sounds like a raw deal.

He's apparently still 17, which would mean he was a late birthday (July--?, '88); and probably could/should have been held back when he was younger.

What parent isn't going to say it was for academics?

The rule was clearly stated by the KHSAA several years ago in the commissioner's notes to schools. You can't repeat the eighth grade.

A basketball player for Middlesboro was ruled ineligible last year by the same rule.

You only have four years of eligibility once you are promoted from the eighth grade.

Most everyone who is involved in KY HS athletics knows this rule. If you're going to "hold back", you have to do it prior to the 8th grade.

North Laurel has a athlete that this rule will affect to in a couple of years. The Middle School principal, and several others tried to tell the parents, but they wouldn't listen. I guess they might listen now. I think this happens more times than you think, but just doesn't get caught. Wonder how the KHSAA found out about Haddix? IMO, someone almost had to turn him in.

So if I get this right, per the KHSAA bylaws; an athleticly gifted kid could play varsity from grades 6-12 (6 years varsity); but could repeat 8th grade for academic reasons, go to high school and sit the bench (frosh and JV) for three years and not be eligible for varsity his senior year (1 year varsity)----Makes perfect sense???? :confused:

Two different rules with different purposes. Don't try to confuscate the issue. If you don't repeat and you progress normally through school, you can "play up" and play one year in each grade. BUT, if you repeat one, it's an issue. It's a trade off. You get to play early but you must continue to make normal progress.

Btw, 6-12 would be 7 years varsity, but math isn't everyone's strength, nor is logic.

The rule was clearly stated by the KHSAA several years ago in the commissioner's notes to schools. You can't repeat the eighth grade.

A basketball player for Middlesboro was ruled ineligible last year by the same rule.

You only have four years of eligibility once you are promoted from the eighth grade.

The excuse I always hear is that they weren't ready for _______th grade because they weren't "socially ready". It just so happens that the parents of these kids generally think (right or wrong) that based on how they look at 12 years old, their kids will be superstars.

Not saying that's the case here - just a situation that I've seen repeatedly.

It's hard to imagine that since the youngster is so talented athletically that school officials did not make it crystal clear what the rules were on this.

If school officials did not do so I find them at fault. Parents should obviously take whatever steps are necessary to know the details but we all know that some parents aren't quite up to the task and some kids just don't have a parent figure involved enough to do so. (it doesn't "seem" to be the case here but I havent heard anything about a school official who says they were told ....yet?). Maybe they were trying to gain an advantage - shame for the kid

Woody Jr

Back in the day, late 70's everyone involved in sports knew this rule. You can't finish 8th grade. Once you do your a 9th grader plain and simple. If you repete a grade it has to be 7th. and during your repete year you can't play ball. This is the situation that Bill Walker is in I believe only he was tranfering schools and repeteing the same grade. Good luck to this kid and I hope it was just a mistake and no one done this intentially..........LTW.

Two different rules with different purposes. Don't try to confuscate the issue. If you don't repeat and you progress normally through school, you can "play up" and play one year in each grade. BUT, if you repeat one, it's an issue. It's a trade off. You get to play early but you must continue to make normal progress.

Btw, 6-12 would be 7 years varsity, but math isn't everyone's strength, nor is logic.

You got me on the math there Kissinger, but these situations still seem similar and conflicting to me. Does this apply to just varsity play, frosh/JV/Varsity, or what? I'm confuscated!! :confused:

After all English and spelling aren't everyone's strength!! :D

That's a good question, just exactly how many years of High School Sports can an athlete play?

It depends on the sport.

However, once you are promoted to 9th grade, you have 4 consecutive years to play varsity sports.

I ran varsity track for 5 years, and could have run 6 if I had gotten off my lazy but to do it in the 7th grade.:D I take it from the discussion that it is possible to compete at the varsity level 7 years, 6 thru 12.