Powell County Basketball

They are currently 15-8 and have won six straight games, including scoring 114 points in a win over Fleming County last week. They have four challenging games remaining, three of them against 14th region opponents:

Feb. 9- Hazard (H)

Feb. 13- Magoffin County (A)

Feb. 16- Perry County Central (A)

Feb. 23- Letcher County Central (H)

Powell competes in the 56th District, which should come down to Powell and Lee County this season. They played under the radar for most of the year and haven't played many top teams yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Powell County make a run in the regional tournament this year.

They are currently 15-8 and have won six straight games, including scoring 114 points in a win over Fleming County last week. They have four challenging games remaining, three of them against 14th region opponents:

Feb. 9- Hazard (H)

Feb. 13- Magoffin County (A)

Feb. 16- Perry County Central (A)

Feb. 23- Letcher County Central (H)

Powell competes in the 56th District, which should come down to Powell and Lee County this season. They played under the radar for most of the year and haven't played many top teams yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Powell County make a run in the regional tournament this year.

SHOULD.....

Powell has completed a turnaround in it's basket ball program with the hiring of Kyle Lively. They are exciting to watch and very well coached. Your nephew is in good hands with the entire coaching staff. I will be surprised if they don't compete well in the the 14th regional tourney providing they beat a good Estill Co. team in the first round of the 56th District tourney. The administration at Powell has finally done a decent job of trying to keep a PROGRAM in place and not just compete every third or fourth year. Powell is one of the 4 largest schools in the 14th and should be considered a contender year in and year out. Lively in basketball and Varney in baseball is a good start in that direction.

Powell has completed a turnaround in it's basket ball program with the hiring of Kyle Lively. They are exciting to watch and very well coached. Your nephew is in good hands with the entire coaching staff. I will be surprised if they don't compete well in the the 14th regional tourney providing they beat a good Estill Co. team in the first round of the 56th District tourney. The administration at Powell has finally done a decent job of trying to keep a PROGRAM in place and not just compete every third or fourth year. Powell is one of the 4 largest schools in the 14th and should be considered a contender year in and year out. Lively in basketball and Varney in baseball is a good start in that direction.

I agree they are well coached and a very good and experienced team. Thank you for being one of the only ones to admit that the Estill County team will have some say in who plays in the 56th district finals. It will be a war in the first round for sure.

It has always been a great game when Estill and Powell squares off in just about every sport. A solid rivalry that just keeps getting better. Great friends in Estill Co. but bragging rights are on the line everytime they tip it up.

Can someone give me the boxscore for Fleming Co against Powell Co. They scored 95 points but the paper only had 70 pts. Also I need first names of the following Powell Co players: Skidmore, Johnson, Dennis, Pelfrey, Adams, Southwood, Kinser, Martin and Banks. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

Powell has completed a turnaround in it's basket ball program with the hiring of Kyle Lively. They are exciting to watch and very well coached. Your nephew is in good hands with the entire coaching staff. I will be surprised if they don't compete well in the the 14th regional tourney providing they beat a good Estill Co. team in the first round of the 56th District tourney. The administration at Powell has finally done a decent job of trying to keep a PROGRAM in place and not just compete every third or fourth year. Powell is one of the 4 largest schools in the 14th and should be considered a contender year in and year out. Lively in basketball and Varney in baseball is a good start in that direction

Yes those were 2 good hires.:thumb: