KHSAA District Championship Question

3wishes

With the new playoff format when is the district champion awarded? Is it during the regular season as it always has been or is it decided the 2nd week of the playoffs? I've heard conflicting reports and I wasn't sure which to believe.

For instance say Corbin is 4-0 in their district during the regular season but lose to Wayne County in the 2nd round, who is the district winner? How is it determined?

Even that link is contradictory.

In part I)D)3) it indicates that the regular season winner is the district champion.

But later in part VIII)A)1) it indicates that trophies will be given to each district, region, semi state and runner up winner. Which, when taken in context, seems to say that the playoff winner of round 2 is the district champ.

An email to Mr Tackett should clear up the question.

In part I)D)3) it indicates that the regular season winner is the district champion.

But later in part VIII)A)1) it indicates that trophies will be given to each district, region, semi state and runner up winner. Which, when taken in context, seems to say that the playoff winner of round 2 is the district champ.

An e-mail will clear it up, but I fail to see the contradiction. IMO, it just says to me that the second place finisher during the regular season gets a runner-up trophy. I think that's what they have done for years, though really I don't know, since Central has not been #2 in a long time.

I may be reading it wrong, but here is what I thought.

In the first part I mentioned, it seemed to indicate that the regular season district winner, would be the district champion. This is how it always has been.

But later, in the other section, it was talking about the playoffs. And it called the 2nd round winners, district champions and stated that they would receive a tropy, as would the regional winner, semi state winner and state runner up.

When you look at the two separate sections, it seemed to call both the regular season district winner, and the playoff district winner, district champions. Or am I just reading it the wrong way?

I was confused by the statements in the rules handbook as well and after hearing one radio station report it one way and hearing the news report it the other and hearing some people who thought it was the other way then I realized I had no clue. I believe though it will be awarded in the 2nd round this year since the new playoff went into effect.

I was confused by the statements in the rules handbook as well and after hearing one radio station report it one way and hearing the news report it the other and hearing some people who thought it was the other way then I realized I had no clue. I believe though it will be awarded in the 2nd round this year since the new playoff went into effect.

I have heard it will be awarded after the 2nd round of playoffs, when the last team from each district moves on to the regional championship.

The regular season district games are for seeding purposes.

What Region will Mercer be the champion of if they win their 3rd round playoff game? How about Russell?

Is it possible that the KHSAA changed the format of the 2A playoffs this year to separate these two teams that are in the same region?

Is it possible that the KHSAA changed the format of the 2A playoffs this year to separate these two teams that are in the same region?

I certainly hope this isn't true. The KHSAA felt it was OK to lump Trinity, X and Male into the same region. But also felt the need to separate Mercer and Russell. :rolleyes:

I certainly hope this isn't true. The KHSAA felt it was OK to lump Trinity, X and Male into the same region. But also felt the need to separate Mercer and Russell. :rolleyes:

Why did they put Trinity, St X and Male on the same side of the bracket this year? My question is why the changes in 2A and 4A and not in the other two classes?

The KHSAA held a "blind" draw for the regional matchups, but only for regions 2 and 3 for this year.

They drew for the regional matchups for regions 2 and 3 in each class. 1A and 3A, the draw came out normal, 2A and 4A the draw came out different than normal.

This is the first year for this. Next year, and the year after, EVERY district will be involved in a rotating order of matchups for the regional championship.

See This Thread for a better description of that.

The KHSAA held a "blind" draw for the regional matchups, but only for regions 2 and 3 for this year.

They drew for the regional matchups for regions 2 and 3 in each class. 1A and 3A, the draw came out normal, 2A and 4A the draw came out different than normal.

This is the first year for this. Next year, and the year after, EVERY district will be involved in a rotating order of matchups for the regional championship.

See This Thread for a better description of that.

Thanks for the info!

I did notice as you mentioned in the earlier thread the inequity of the home field advantage. The district that Corbin is in would not be scheduled to host a third round playoff game for 3 consecutive years(2005-2007).

Did you ever get a reply?

guys...th e OFFICIAL interpretation is this...(straight from KHSAA - Julian Tackett):

1. 2nd round playoff winner is THE DISTRICT CHAMPION

2. DISTRICT games ONLY decide 1st round playoff seedings

any questions?

seriously, this is the RULE for 2006! MANY coaches were as surprised by all of this as all of us are right now!